1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Network's MLB Tonight >>> ESPN's Baseball Tonight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 7, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And looks fantastic in glorious high definition television.

Highlights were great, the hosts' annoyance factor was low - that is all I want out of a highlight's show. No ESPN "experts", no ESPN cross-programming, no 20-minute baseball highlight shows to make sure they run NFL Tonight in May, no more fake press conferences.

I can cross another show off my list, where I don't have to go to ESPN to get my sports television needs. You can kiss my white ass, ESPN - someday soon, I hope to never, ever have to get ANY sports programming from you.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

the hate on this board for espn is irritating.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What channel is this on DirecTV? I tried to find it earlier (that's how I stumbled upon NESN).

4. poindexter

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was stuck watching Baseball Tonight last night and that show sucks dick. Chris Singleton is an idiot and whoever he was working with was stumbling all over his words.

Just give me highlights. I don't need to see Chris Singleton pretend to hit a pitch he probably couldn't hit in real life.

6. poindexter

No more Chris Berman.
    No more John Kruk flinging shit against the wall to see what will stick.
    No more game graphics that appear at the end of game highlights, obscuring an actual key play.
    No more ESPN expert "confirming" someone else's work.

7. poindexter

Driving home last night, I heard on the radio that (some player) hit an inside-the-park homer yesterday, first on Opening day since Yaz in the 1960's.

The MLB Tonight show had the full highlight, and had it in some form of reasonable hi-def, even if it was in b/w.

Suck it ESPN - I'll never have to watch Baseball Tonight again.

And as soon as the NFL Network gets their shit together, and puts their terrific Eisen/Mooch/Sanders highlight show on hi-def, I'll be able to cross another ESPN show off my list.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I agree Baseball Tonight sucks dick and MLB Tonight is probably much better, but I think ESPN does some things well.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

They do a lot of things well, b-bred ... but not their highlight shows. Not anymore.

SportsCenter is an unamusing parody, BBTN is a shell of its former self and NFL Live is a joke that's on nearly 365 days a year.

10. poindexter

I count three the number of things I like about ESPN:
    1) I like their WSOP coverage (Norm Chad).
    2) They show all the USMT World Cup qualifying games, and the World Cup.
    3) Their high def looks good.

Thats it. Total. Among all their properties (.com, the magazine, the network). Everything else can be thrown in the trash heap. I even ate at an ESPNzone one time, and had the trots for a day.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Chris Singleton is worse than John Kruk, and I didn't think that was possible. And ESPN is doing goofy stuff like having Karl Ravech talk to Singleton in a hallway and having Singleton walk away like he's going to check out more games. Of course, MLB Network has Harold Reynolds, which doesn't help, but they did pull out a clip of Yaz's inside-the-park HR in 1968, so that gained them some points in my book.

I'm hoping MLBN doesn't turn into a Yankees-Mets-Dodgers-Red Sox lovefest, but I saw a lot of that in the offseason.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No more Kruk just talking to fill time. I hate that.

Here we are back in the ESPN studios and we don't have anything new to say so we are just going to repeat these following words over and over and over: web gem, touch 'em all, Yankees, Red Sox, Ramirez, Steinbrenner, Ozzie Guillen, dinger.

Draft saved Draft deleted