1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Network's 20 greatest games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Feb 15, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

1986 was an amazing year for the playoffs.

That 16 inning game between the Mets-Astros was epic. Billy Hatcher. Wow.

Bosox-Angels. Hendu becomes a household name.

Bosox-Mets. Gm. 6. Jean Yawkey next to the trophy in the locker room; Hurst in the tunnel ready to be named MVP; Kevin Mitchell playing with himself in the locker room with no jock or pants on. For this Bosox fan, epic fail (Stanley throws a f*cking wild pitch!!!; it should be the Stanley game, not Buckner game).

2. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

http://mlbnetwork.mlb.com/network/games_airdates/

Here is the list of the games that they have done so far. And I second the notion about Game 6 of the 1995 World Series being on there. That's the first WS I remember watching, and I remember watching that game like it was yesterday.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ah, the 15-14 game. The only time the words, "why the hell are they taking out Roger Mason!?" have ever been uttered.

If you're a Phillies fan, though, this countdown has been interesting so far. I know they've been involved in at least three of the games shown so far -- the 22-21 game against the Cubs from 1979; Game 5 of the 1980 NLCS against the Astros; and Game 6 of the '93 Series.
    For a franchise that sucked for about 45 of the 60 years they're drawing from, that's not bad.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wish Game 6 of the 1991 World Series was on there, the Kirby Puckett home run game.

"And we'll see you tomorrow night!"

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

He did. He also said the only thing he regrets about it is he didn't fire the ball over Henderson's head - like he usually did when players pulled that on him.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

My fanboi favorite is Pettite-Smoltz.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The greatest game I ever watched was Game 5 of the '86 ALCS (Dave Henderson-Donnie Moore game) ... and I only watched it from the eighth inning on. Amazing theater.

It's forgotten by nearly everyone that Don Baylor had to hit a two-run home run in the ninth inning just to set up Henderson's go-ahead two-run shot ... and that the Angels came back in the bottom of the ninth to tie it.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

In terms of forgotten HRs, I always think of Soriano's against Schilling that should have won the 2001 WS.

9. As great as Game 7 was, this one has always been my favorite. Don't forget Kirby's big catch, either.

And as a Twins fanboi, Gene Larkin's soft line drive to left to end the '87 Series is in my top 10, too.

Damn, I wish Dish had MLB TV.

10. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Should be the Gedman game because he should have caught it. Bad job by the official scorer, that was a passed ball not a wild pitch.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

A passed ball? You mean the pitch that bounced in the batter's box, that Mookie Wilson skipped over to avoid being hit? You mean that WILD PITCH?

BitterYoungMatador2 and old_tony like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted