1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Network's 20 greatest games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Anybody watch this on MLB Network? They are counting down the 20 greatest games since 1950. Monday it was No. 14-Game 6 of the 1993 World Series, and they had Joe Carter and Mitch Williams watching the highlights with Bob Costas and Tom Verducci and talking about the game.

It's really well done (like most stuff on MLB Network). I'm hoping to see Mookie Wilson and Bill Buckner talking about Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, as I'm sure it will be on the countdown.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If they show Game 6 of the 1985 World Series let me know. Best baseball memory of my childhood.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The 1985 World Series made me a Royals fan. That and being on the Royals in Little League.
    Wonder if MLB Network will do a best regular season baseball games series. This sounds like it's all postseason stuff, which usually generates the best games.

4. Mizzougrad96

My first sports memory was Brett hitting three home runs off Catfish Hunter. I don't know how or why I remembered it, I was 3 at the time, but I did. Been a Royals fan ever since.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I think Brett's three-homer game in the 77 ALCS is more likely.

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

My memory of Game 6 of the 1993 Series ... showing the passage of time here.

I was in college, watching it in my dorm room, and as they went to the commercial break before the Jays' last at-bat, they showed who was due up ... Rickey Henderson, top of the order. And I thought to myself, if they're going to rally and win this right here, this is the perfect situation, with Henderson leading off the inning.

So I started searching for a video tape (yes video tape ... 1993!), and it took me a couple minutes to find one with space I could record on. I missed Henderson's at-bat, but I hit record right as he arrived at first base and started taking his lead, and I got the rest of the inning.

Nothing special now, when you can Google and find footage of whatever you want. But back then, pre-Internet, I always felt like it was special to have the broadcasts of important games. Still have that tape, too. Probably doesn't work anymore, but it's on a shelf in the basement.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Speaking of Brett and home runs and regular-season ... Pine Tar Game anyone?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. Mizzougrad96

I'd watch that one. I'd watch Game 3 of the 1985 ALCS when Brett put the whole team on his back and almost single-handedly beat the Blue Jays.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Pine Tar Game ... which I covered ... is worth it just for Brett's manic charge at Tim McClelland.

10. Mizzougrad96

I'm jealous you were there. I remember watching it live and just flipping out.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I was not, however, at the completion of the game.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

MLB Network replayed the game over a year ago. Got it saved on the DVR. Some fun stuff on there, including some interviews with Brett, Nettles and McClellan. Plus they showed the rest of the game, which was great. Mattingly at second, Guidry in center, Martin appealing that Brett missed the bases on the homer and the new umpiring crew whipping out an affadavit signed by the old crew saying that Brett had indeed touched the bases.

Most of KC's defining game happened before my formative years, but if there is one Royals game on the countdown, let it be Game 6.

As for No. 14... how could anyone not want to have a beer with Mitch Williams? Stand-up guy, and hilarious. My personal favorite was how he said he'll never forgive Incaviglia for not playing high enough in left field. Great stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted