1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ggMets, Jan 18, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't get SPEED either. Oh well, no truck races for me!

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm getting it on my digital tier, unlike the NBA and NHL Networks which are on the Sports tier.

Haven't watched it too much lately, but I do watch the NHL Network a lot more than ESPN late at night now, and I expect I'll do the same thing with MLB's network once spring training starts

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Larsen's perfect game was on in the original Kinescope format the other day (I started a thread about it) and that was cool. Didn't now how close a couple of Dodgers came to hitting homers and also did't realize until I watched it how well Sal Maglie pitched for the Dodgers. Stuff like that will keep me coming back. And I'll give their nightly show a chance, too.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think it's really lame that they keep reshowing WS games from the last 2-3 years.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Are they going to be showing games during the regular season. If so, who will be the broadcasters? All I've seen so far is Harold Reynolds talking.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. I love the channel except for that.

They really need to dig a little deeper for "Classic MLB." So far, it seems their archives consist of Don Larsen's perfect game, the 2007-08 World Series and the past three all-star home run derbies.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Casty, this comes from <a href="http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/161016-MLB_Network_Eyeing_Playoff_Packages.php">this link</a>.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I don't have it out in the boonies, but I'm visiting my parents in Chicago and really enjoying the programming.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Apparently I can only get it here with DirecTV, but I can't have a dish at my apartment without paying some enormous deposit.

So, I guess I will have to live without it.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the studio shows on MLB, the talent pool is more like a talent puddle, shallow and small. Harold Reynolds was a poor choice to be the voice of MLB, though ESPN has scooped up alot of talent, whether ESPN uses that talent wisely or not is most certainly debatable.

Liked watching the Ken Burns series again. During the season they should have more frequent updates than ESPN and more highlights.

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

So far I have liked what I have seen from the Channel but come the regular season I expect greater.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

agreed. surely they can find perfect games or pennant clinchers or just random regular season games with a subplot that are more interesting than home run derbies.

Draft saved Draft deleted