1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB investigating "fake" baseball player ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Minutemen, May 10, 2012.

1. Minutemen

Minutemen New Member

I found this story fascinating.

Apparently a Milwaukee man used baseball prospect message boards to build a fake persona. He used that to get a few legitimate news organizations to do stories on him. And then used those stories to help him defraud some not-so-smart sports agents out of some money.

I've heard stories like this before, and the timing comes right after that ESPN mess, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Still, interesting stuff.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It would not do for me to be on a jury where someone was accused of defrauding an agent.
  3. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Wanted to mention that it was me who posted this. I haven't used that old login in quite some time, and don't know how it came up ... using a browser I don't normally use, I guess.

No biggie. But I prefer full disclosure.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If this happened in Milwaukee, it would be a short drive to Wrigley Field to track down a whole bunch of fake players.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No outing.

YGBFKM Guest

I thought this thread was about Gordon Beckham.
  7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Oh no you didn't (snap, snap, snap)!
  8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Montaous Walton couldn't touch Fausto Carmona's heat.
  9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I had something similar happen to me as a reporter a few years ago. I had a guy connect with me on Twitter, claiming that he was a war veteran who just got back from Afghanistan and who always wanted to be a sprint car driver. He had got connected with Tim Clauson, whose son Bryan is a top racer (and will be running at Indy this year) and that Tim Clauson was going to help him field a car for local races in the Midwest during the season.

I had a 15-20 minute long phone conversation with him and there were a few things that just didn't quite add up. After I got off the phone, I contacted Tim Clauson through Facebook and asked what he knew about the guy. Turns out that he didn't know anything, other than that he had talked to him for a few minutes at a race one time and given him some really perfunctory advice about starting out in the sport. Certainly a mile short of "helping to field a team" for him.

I called the guy back and left a message for him to call me back since I had talked to Tim Clauson and had a few follow up questions for me. A few hours later I got a Twitter message that was weird and rambling about "ha ha no Tim Clauson isn't going to be fielding a team for me but I'm running late modifieds for sure!" I don't know if the guy was actually a vet or even a real person. I just didn't respond and let the thing die.
  10. This type of thing is becoming more and more common in football and basketball recruiting.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Then there's the rest of the family:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. JPsT

JPsT Member

Pretty fascinating story. I wonder if the guy has any baseball skills at all.
Draft saved Draft deleted