1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB HOF debate thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 25, 2007.

1. crustacean

crustacean Member

Ummm ... check what I wrote. I'm making a prediction, not trying to fellate Bagwell in print.

There are a few ways to get into the Hall of Fame. One is to have overwhelming numbers and be a sure-fire lock. Another is to be a borderline candidate and bring good intangibles to the table (see Jim Rice about this one).

Ultimately, I think Biggio and Bagwell get in, eventually, if for no other reason than the general longtime-teammates-same-team-throwback-players-old-school-work-ethic-yadda-yadda perception.

And Jeff, if you're reading this, no need to thank me, but next time you visit me and your mother, don't clog the shitter.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, blah, blah, blah. OPS is a sabermetric stat, which was my point.

you act as though OPS is some groundbreaking new stat, it's not. get over it.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, I know about OPS: Combining apples and oranges to try to make bananas. There are numerous works tearing this measure apart, including in the Sunday NYT. And if this saber stuff has Bagwell as the fifth-best first baseman ever, that saber stuff has some 'splaining to do. And Perez is in and should be in.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Such a crude statistic. Its popularity is baffling.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ummmmmmmmm...then I'm going to accuse you of selective listening.

He hit six homers in 710 minor league at-bats. SIX HOMERS IN 710 MINOR LEAGUE AT-BATS!!!!

Then he goes to the Astrodome...and hits 126 homers there in nine seasons. Very interesting.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Never said it was the perfect stat, dooley. But it tells you more about a player's offensive worth than batting average, or home runs, or RBI.

And Tom, I never said OPS was revolutionary. You're the one who went off about how it was the domain of saberheads. It's mainstream enough that I hear and see it on MLB broadcasts. Or is to too baseball geeky for you if I actually watch it, too?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And incredibly flimsy evidence. Did you ever see Bagwell up close? I saw him once next to Ken Caminiti and they looked like before and after pictures in an advertisement for steroids (though Caminiti was also a good bit taller).

Some guys just come into their own in the majors. It is extremely unfair to accuse a guy of using performance enhancers and thus arguing against his entry into the Hall of Fame simply because he was a much better major leaguer than his minor league numbers indicated that he would be.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The topic of Alan Schwarz's column in Sunday's NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/sports/baseball/25score.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

When I was 16, I was PLAYING baseball and chasing girls. That kid needs to get a life, lest he end up one of us ...

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fuck Leon Durham.

Sincerely,

Cub fans everywhere

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wow, that is awesome. Can't wait to hear more about this stat as it gets more refined and more accepted.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you just crossed into the realm of being incredibly stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted