1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB HOF debate thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 25, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm reading an AP story about Biggio and his chase for 3,000 hits, and the writer basically assumes Biggio will be in the Hall of Fame. OK, fine. 3k hits might be a shoo-in number.

But what about Jeff Bagwell? Does his lack of postseason hardware and middling attention from national media counteract his 449 homers, 1,529 RBIs and .297 career BA? Those numbers are very good (especially when you consider he played most of his career in the less-than-hitter-friendly Astrodome), probably HOF worthy, but he only led the league in RBIs once, never led the league in homers. So, should he get in? Will he? I think he should, but honestly, I have my doubts about whether he will.

Discuss ...

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't think Bagwell makes it; many people at his position with better numbers. If pre-roids Palmeiro was not considered a lock, I don't see how Bagwell has a chance. Frank Thomas probably ensured his entry with his late-career revival with the A's. 3,000 hits and versatility (and much of his career being at second base) will probably get Biggio in.

3. dooley_womack1

Well, that's better than the piece of crap career ending Thomas was heading to. The recency effect will put him in. Bagwell will not have a good recency effect, and I don't think he makes it. I'll put up stakes with you on that.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Didn't we have this thread a few months ago.
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/35261/

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fun fact: Bagwell and Thomas were both born on May 27, 1968.

Alas, I'm not sold on either Bagwell or Thomas. They were potent power hitters in the most powerful era of all-time. I know their numbers rank among the best of all-time at their position, but were they the best at their position over the last 15 years?

When I think of Thomas, I think of a guy who had a monster early career, tailed off, got fat and lazy, had a monster 2000 and then basically missed three of the next five seasons until he had a helluva 2006. And as Buckweaver points out, he's been a DH for a long time already.

Bagwell is a better all-around player and will probably benefit from playing his whole career in one city. But Hall of Famer? I don't know.

And IdiotsNetwork: Fuck off.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have nothing to add because it's baseball and I know nothing about baseball, but Dools, I love the new pic in your sig!

7. dooley_womack1

Thanks, it's from the Iron Maiden Football League.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's even odder than the photo. Which is saying something.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Thomas is a two-time MVP whose numbers in his first 7-8 years were Ted Williams-esque. I'll give ya Bagwell as a fielder, but Thomas in his prime was one of the best pure hitters of his generation; he was more than just a power guy. He's in.

10. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Biggio's a much better first baseman than Hee-Seop Choi. ;D

Honestly, he probably deserves to get in but I highly doubt he will for the reasons n_w mentioned.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Because Bagwell played in a cavern most of his career

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

name an eligible player with 3k that isn't in?

Draft saved Draft deleted