1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB gives me a headache

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by joe_schmoe, Jul 23, 2008.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

From the Rangers-ChiSox box score on MLB.com:

Guardado (H, 21)(L, 1-2) 0.2 3 4 4 1 0 0 3.65

Really? A hold and a loss? What the hell did he hold?

From the MLB.com rule primer: "The hold is not an official statistic, but it was created as a way to credit middle relief pitchers for a job well done."

If it's not an official stat, why put it on your box scores? and if it is to credit a job well done then isn't this kind of hypocritical in this case?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe they meant well done like a steak.

With a 54.00 ERA for the game, he got smoked pretty good.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The hold is asinine. How did MLB put that into the vernacular while getting rid of the game-winning RBI?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The "hold" is a contrivance of agents to use in arbitration hearings and negotiations to get more money for mediocre middle relievers.
    I think it is absurd that AP and mlb include it in box scores.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just because they include it . . . doesn't mean it can't be edited out.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

agree completely, BTE. Unfortunately, that is easier said than done on deadline.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lord.
    OK, so he "held" but someone else gave up his runs?

What a horseshit stat.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Almost as ridiculous is a blown save for a middle reliever in the seventh inning, who clearly isn't in the game to earn a save. But if they switch to blown holds, I might have to get medieval.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I think the "hold" is for a reliever who enters the game in a would-be save situation, and leaves the game with the lead still intact. Therefore, if they give up the lead, it's a blown save, even if it weren't a save situation.

I have no idea how you can get credit for a hold and the loss. I guess he left the game with the lead, but another pitcher allowed the (inherited from Guardado) tying and go-ahead runs to score.

That's pretty stupid to credit a hold when guys who are your responsibility score the tying or go-ahead runs.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Certainly, because Guardardo allowed those runners to get on base, so what, exactly, did he "hold?" He actually put himself in position to lose the game, which he did when the next pitcher blew the save.

I would not have credited Guardado with the hold, even if I used that stat myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted