1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB First Half Awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 8, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Once he got busted he was forced to find better stuff, apparently.

2. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

Problem with Hurdle as manager of the year is I've never found him to be particularly good at managing.
    I think of all the four major American professional team sports baseball managers are the least influential when it comes to team performance. The best baseball managers are good at using their bullpens and good at managing egos.

Dusty Baker does baffling stuff. But his overall record is good. Maybe he's just been lucky to fall into several good situations (hello, Barry Bonds). Jim Tracy won a manager of the year award.

I think the very best managers might be good for two to four victories a year based on strategy and the very worst might stick a team with a couple or three losses they otherwise might have avoided.

Think it's all about fit and people skills. Torre was best example of that. He was perfect for those Yankees teams because he was good at keeping things calm in a storm. But ultimately, not sure he moved the meter all that much in terms of wins and losses.

As for the others NL MVP _ McCutchen ever-so-slightly ahead of Votto and Wright.
    NL CY _ Dickey (but he won't win it at end of the year)
    Rookie _ Harper

AL MVP _ I'll take Hamilton over Cano and Trout (WAR be damned).
    AL CY _ Verlander, again.
    Rookie _ Trout

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If McCutchen wins the MVP and the Bucs make the playoffs, that would be something. It would be easy to say I wouldn't ask for more knowing what the Pirates have done the past 20 seasons or so, but that would be a lie.

Just seeing the Bucs being talked about in relevant terms again, that makes me smile.

Draft saved Draft deleted