1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB First Half Awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 8, 2012.

1. NL: McCutchen (MVP), Dickey (Cy Young), Harper (Rookie), Hurdle (Manager)
    AL: Mike Trout (MVP), Sale (Cy Young), Trout (Rookie), Showalter/Ventura (Manager)

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who doesn't have Buck Showalter as manager of the year just doesn't pay attention to baseball. The guy has the O's in playoff contention despite the fact his pitchers can't pitch, his hitters don't hit, and his fielders couldn't catch herpes in a whore house.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've never quite gotten why "team with best record that we didn't expect to be very good" is the criteria for "Manager of the Year." It's an odd tradition.

4. Flying Headbutt

Sometimes it can be an easy crutch. Absolutely. I don't think it is in the case I stated above, but you're right.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But really, you have either A. Manager of a team people expected to be in first place or B. Manager of a team no one expected to be in first place.

So it's either the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers manager every year or, in a case like this year, the O's, Nats or Pirates manager.

Doesn't seem to be much in between.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why can't the guy who did the best managing job be on a team that didn't finish first? Or even have a losing record?

Managers have a lot less influence than players, but the best player is often on a losing team.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How often is that the case?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

AL MANAGER: Jeter
    AL ROOKIE: Jeter
    AL MVP: Jeter
    AL CY: Jeter

NL MANAGER: Jetes
    NL ROOKIE: Jetey
    NL MVP: Mr. Jeter
    NL CY: DJ

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

F_H beat me to it on Showalter. At this point, there's no defense for anyone but Buck for AL manager.

McCutchen, Dickey (although I don't think he'll be it at the end), Davey Johnson and Harper.

Hamilton, Verlander, Showalter and Trout.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It can.

Joe Girardi, NL MOY 2006, 78-84
    Tony Pena, AL MOY 2003, 83-79
    Frank Robinson, AL MOY 1989, 87-75

(Admittedly, those are the only times it's happened since the award was instituted in 1983. But there's some precedent, at least.)

11. Flying Headbutt

I think Girardi is deserving of some consideration this season, too. Really, in the AL, I think it's between Showalter, Girardi, and Ventura. But this Orioles team everyone said would lose 90 games and finish in last place (and it's still possible they do) is in playoff contention right now, and that's a gosh darn miracle.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Guess who's on pace to have as good (and in some cases better) statistical year than last year?

Reigning NL MVP Ryan Braun ... with nothing like the protection in the lineup around him he had in 2011.

Of course, the Brewers have been waylaid by injuries and can't hit much of a lick besides Braun, so his team isn't putting him in a position to make a MVP case this time.

Too bad. I'd like to see the wiggling from those who would vote against him as some sort of idiotic penalty for "cheating" in 2011.

Draft saved Draft deleted