1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Experts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slowcenter, Jul 27, 2006.

1. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

I don't have the luxury of paying close attention to MLB until after the NBA season is over, but the few times I was able to catch Baseball Tonight or read USA Today, all I heard and read was that this was the season the American League wild card team was not going to come from the East. Detroit and Chicago were locks for the playoffs. I specifically remember the "experts" on Baseball Tonight agreeing that the discussion had moved on to whether the Yankees or Red Sox would make the playoffs, with the loser going home.

On July 6, the White Sox led the Yankees by seven games. In only three weeks' time, the White Sox have gone 3-12, while the Yankees have gone 11-5. Presto, the Yankees lead the wild card by one-half game over Chicago.

Now the White Sox may still win the wild card, but you would think baseball "experts" would know better than to forecast that playoff spots are set with 75 games to go. But they don't.

It seems like analysts have so much more time to fill these days, they can't help but spout absolutes in July that don't necessarily add up in September.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Couldn't you have posted this in the baseball thread? Judges?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

4. KYSportsWriter

I'm sorry. We can't except that answer.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What if they called in on a payphone?

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I don't think the answer can still be accepted. Throw aside the NBA and follow a real sport. :D

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, I just caught the true meaning of this post.... well played sir..

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's fine. I'm asking you to accept it. ;)

9. KYSportsWriter

I was waiting for someone to catch that....:D

10. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Ralph, and do you remember the time you said you saw Snagglepus outside?...He was going to the bathroom

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ms. Wormwood? I ate my worm. can I have anothe rone?

No Ralph, just put your head down and go to sleep.

Sleep! Oh boy! That's where I'm a viking!!

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

when i grow up, i'm going to bovine university

Draft saved Draft deleted