1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB employee doesn't think Mike Trout gets enough attention

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 31, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

True, he only has four top-2 MVP finishes in four years, a $150 million contract, the Subway endorsement and his own line of Nikes.

It's like the guy is in Siberia.

novelist_wannabe and cranberry like this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

So, you think he'd be overlooked if he played in the Midwest or East?

He's an amazing player. That's my opinion of why he doesn't get more national exposure.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It would have been more of a factor 20 years ago. There are more opportunities for Eastern viewers to see West coast games now.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He isn't overlooked.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think that's debatable. Certainly not overlooked by baseball fans. But he should have
    more crossover star power appeal, as great as he is.

But, just my two cents. I've been wrong before. Once. In college, I think.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Meh. When I was little, I was familiar with the Dodgers, and I hated them, but I knew their line-up. Thanks to the Braves being in the NL West, and on TBS, I'm sure. In high school, I knew, and followed the Bash Brothers, and almost shit my pants when Ken Griffey Jr's rookie card stared back at me when I opened an Upper Deck pack.

I don't think it's an east/west thing as much as that baseball doesn't capture us the way it used to. I am a Nationals fan, but I probably knew more about the Dodgers back in the day than I do about the team I follow now.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

National sports talk radio - understanding it is not the be all and end all barometer of sports interest - gives zero shrift to baseball. Year round.

It goes from football in the fall to NFL hot stove in February to basketball and NFL draft in the spring and to NBA playoffs to NBA free agency to NFL camps opening. With an occasional Ryan Lochte-type story.

When sports talk started 25-30 years ago, it was much more baseball oriented.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What is interesting about Verducci is that he is paid both as member of the "baseball media" and also as an official "baseball marketer."

It gives him a unique perspective, for sure.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Okay, Dick. My interest is piqued. Can you give a little more information on Verducci's other occupation? Link?

10. Dick Whitman

I reject the premise a little bit. People know Mike Trout. My 7-year-old knows Mike Trout.

To the extent they don't or that he doesn't get enough attention as Tom Verducci, employee of Major League Baseball, thinks he should, there are a few factors. One is that he plays baseball, which is very much a regional sport. You go to an Orioles game and there are 3,000 J.J. Hardy jersey T-shirts being worn. Ninety percent of the baseball-watching country doesn't know who the fuck J.J. Hardy is. Another problem is that, as someone pointed out, his damn team's no good. People know Jose Bautista not only because he flipped his bat, but because he had the opportunity to flip his bat in a game that makes SportsCenter and gets talk radio buzzing.

11. Dick Whitman

[P] - MLB Network

12. Dick Whitman

Draft saved Draft deleted