1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB employee calls for four-year PED ban in a Sports Illustrated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 13, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

PED testing is working. Guys are getting caught and suspended. They can't catch everyone, but they are catching a good number of them.

Meanwhile, guys are getting bigger, stronger and more muscular in the NBA, which has no real PED testing. And fans don't give a shit. They just want to see the best players in the world do their thing.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The best thing PED testing does is make the whole issue part of a sport's routine. It's no thing when an NFL player is caught and serves his time because people are used to it. This will eventually happen in baseball, too. BTW, Clemens (who's looking more and more like the Michelin Man) was a booth guest during last night Red Sox telecast, and treated simply as a noncontroversial great player of yesteryear. I feel that's much more of a straw in the wind than the Verducci article.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I feel like there was a poster here who mentioned this topic once or twice, but I could be mistaken.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At some point, though, you can't hammer these guys every time they have the mic. Should reporters grill Bonds and McGwire every time they want to talk about hitting mechanics with them?

FWIW, I thought Clemens did a good job analyzing Price's mechanical adjustments.

5. Steak Snabler

And the Sox winning 3 World Series since Clemens left probably put some ghosts to bed as well.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Talk to me about PED testing success in MLB once all the players have to give MLB 24-hour-in-advance notice to their whereabouts 365 days a year, like World Tour cyclists have to.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We're discussing sports here.

Big Circus, old_tony, lcjjdnh and 5 others like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sports maybe, but certainly not athletes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Steak Snabler

And that's a good thing?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Actually, baseball players must give notice and provide an address where they can be found anytime they're traveling during the offseason. It's been like that for several years.

11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

For the record, I give a shit about the hypocrisy of Helen Lovejoy Verducci.

Dick Whitman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted