1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB employee calls for four-year PED ban in a Sports Illustrated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 13, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No link yet, but thought-provoking piece by MLB employee Tom Verducci in this week's print mag.

I'm guessing the fact that he works for Major League Baseball got cut out accidentally during the editing process.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Journalism.

3. Dick Whitman

I should be over it by now. No one else seems to give a shit. But I never ceased to be amazed when I see him interviewing someone for MLB Network during my morning workout, then read him carrying the MLB commissioner's water on some topic in Sports Illustrated during my commute.

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Wasn't Verducci the writer who was working Roger Clemens corner and wrote that
    Clemens intense training regimen was the reason for his success at age 40:

What's inside a man who turns 41 in two months and who after more
    than 60,000 pitches still can throw a baseball with a ferocity
    that even 95 mph fails pitifully to measure? What's inside the
    greatest pitcher alive? Blasphemy be damned: Maybe his career has
    been better than those of the dead, too--the communion of diamond
    saints who never knew integration or the shock-and-awe slugging
    of today's players.

cranberry likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He's the author on the Scully cover story. I guess there just are no lines anymore to cross.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Verducci is Exhibit A of my thesis that a writer's stance on PEDs is hard line in direct proportion to how hard they fell for the stars of the PED era of the '90s. It's compensation for professional humiliation.

7. Dick Whitman

It's also helpful for his employer to try to move public opinion that way in advance of the next Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations.

P.S. In fairness, he is the one who finally broke the PED story open.

cranberry likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tom is an excellent reporter. That doubtless compounds his shame when he goes back and looks at the Clemens piece. Nobody's more fervent than a convert.

9. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

While turning a blind eye to his pal Raj. It was a magnificent Jedi trick. On one side
    he was breaking the PED story wide open and on other he was providing cover for one of the biggest stars of the game.

10. Dick Whitman

What's funny is that you still see, "He works out so hard!" as a defense against steroid accustations. I saw Joe Maddon rolled it out in defense of Arrieta recently. Collabello used it, too, I think.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Subtle reference to your morning workout. Nicely done.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Haven't read the piece yet. Four years for the first offense? And what does he propose in the escalating scale for repeat offenses? Meanwhile, 538 had a piece recently about the return of the home run, which no one can account for...

Draft saved Draft deleted