1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Dec 6, 2011.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Press box access is a privilege, not a right. If team or league wants to maintain a professional atmosphere by enforcing a dress code, it has the right to limit access to those that meet its standards. You might think it's a poor policy decision--and have the right to use your power of the press to criticize them--but you're not entitled to demand they dole out their credentials in any certain way.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We give up a number of "rights" when we accept the credential.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For those who think the rule stinks, buy a ticket and dress like a slob.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Good thing Whitlock has never been in an MLB press box.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd love to read the column where someone argues for the right to wear flip-flops and a muscle shirt to work. That would be well-received by the public.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

WFFW.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've covered events where another paper's reporter, who also was the beat reporter for an FBS team, showed up in ratty T-shirts and flip-flops.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just sad that Martin Fennelly will never be allowed to cover baseball again. :D

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ha, beat me to it Mizzou.

Yep, good luck enforcing this. But then again I've never seen flip-flops in a press box. Nor do I walk around looking straight at the ground, either.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As a young reporter I was stunned to see a prominent south Florida-based NFL writer wearing board shorts and a t-shirt at Senior Bowl practice, which is attended by almost every league coach, GM and owner and where a lot of coaching search reporting goes on.

I think he was wearing closed-toed shoes, though.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Marvez?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ding!

Draft saved Draft deleted