1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Dec 6, 2011.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It isn't a "we don't want to dress professionally" issue. Its a "we don't want the team we cover telling us what to do" issue.

Reiterating others: Where's it stop? Whos the judge? Columnist who rips management is all of a sudden wearing an inappropriate shirt? We bristle when they restrict access and thats ultimately what this is.

2. It's an issue of baseball teams being tired of people showing up in their pressboxes in T-shirts with hole, dirty jeans and ratty flip-flops.

I think they'll likely post these rules and hope no one puts them in an awkward situation by showing up dressed like The Dude again.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm embarrassed for the business that this is being "challenged" at all.

And it should be embarrassing to the business that MLB felt the necessity to address it.

If dressing semi-professionally is an affront to one's individuality, then that individual should understand it might be a reason why they don't get the assignment to cover an MLB game.

If either of my last two SEs had seen one of their people not living up to this dress code on ANY pro sports assignment, there would have been a meeting in which the SE would have been doing all the talking.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's the fucking major leagues. Wear long pants and shoes. Shirt with a collar.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Obviously, I agree. But am more on the side of "who is MLB to do this?" than some others. Should be a given, but don't know that MLB ought to be setting policy on it. And judgment issues -- Is that skirt too short or not? -- are a bit thorny.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

SF, if it's to a point that said skirt is a question, it should not have been worn. Never should have gotten that close.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No shirt, no shoes, no service. Simple.

Playing devil's advocate, most companies have explicit dress codes. How is this different?

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

9. Me? I don't think so.
    My old SE wore cutoff jean shorts and a ripped t-shirt to cover a golf tourney ... It was hot as hell and he was covered in sweat when it was over.
    It was an image I will never overcome.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its different because we don't work for the team. We don't report to them and they can't tell us what to do...there's that whole bit about automny and objectivity. Can't take a free sandwich but when they tell you to wear cufflinks comply? No.

Again this is unenforceable. Columnist A favors the team, Columnist B rips them; Columnist B's shirt is too wrinkled but Columnist A wore one with holes in it last week and no one said anything. It's a mess.

If a guy is truly a slob to the point that its disruptive, then the team's director of PR can call his SE and deal with it there. That's his boss, not some flack with a skirt measuring ruler.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The teams and MLB actually do have the right to set the ground rules. It's their building and their operation. Even to take it to its farthest point, there is truly nothing stopping them, except their own shame and the wrath of the media, from ejecting people who write articles they don't like.

This dress code is a general guideline of conditions for their place of business, and there is nothing wrong with it.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Kind of get the impression journalists who cover baseball want this, and asked MLB to help get it done.

Draft saved Draft deleted