1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Dec 6, 2011.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The lords of pro sports continue to squeeze access for the (print) media, and we're worried about what shirt to wear. Way to keep your eye on the ball, BBWAA!

2. With leggings? That would be AWESOME!

3. And I think its ludicrous MLB has to address the issue. If things have gotten that bad that MLB has to address it, WTF are the employers doing? Apparently nothing.
    I think this is great step.
    Be. Professional.
    I wish they had this stuff at the high school level - esp. for the state events.

I think Smasher is over-reacting just a tad here.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We might have more leverage with the bosses if we dress a little less like the guy who comes to clean the pool.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Reminds me of an "incident" when I was covering Alabama, and Joe Kines was the interim coach between Mike Shula and Nick Saban. It was the day of a big home basketball game, but the football team was also practicing for its bowl game that day, so we grabbed Kines for a couple of quick quotes before the hoops game.

One of the veteran beat guy's basketball press row seat put him directly behind the network play-by-play crew — meaning he was in the background of the live TV shots before the game and at the half — so he would always wear at least dress slacks and a sport coat for home basketball games. Kines noticed this, and gushed "That's a niiiiiiiiiice suit [reporter's name], a real niiiiiiiiice suit!"

He then looked sideways at a couple of young reporters in their un-tucked shirts and ripped jeans, paused for a beat and said:

"Some of y'all need to pick it up!"

Everyone laughed, but we all knew it was true.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Honest question: Have you ever worn anything that you think would get you into trouble?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't help that many of us get paid about what the guy who comes to clean the pool does... (though I agree that this is an issue is discouraging)

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I will never ever ever ever understand some journalists' resistance to dressing professionally. You can look professional and be comfortable at the same time, even on a salary of $15,706 a year (I know this, because I did.) It never gets too hot to wear a polo shirt and khaki shorts.

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Give me a break.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Without the dress code, I always felt secure in the knowledge that somebody in the herd of writers would be dressed worse than me. Now I won't know what to think before heading to ballpark. Might unnecessarily raise the ante too high. :-\

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Wearing flip flops to cover any event -- professional, college, high school, community -- is ridiculous. I can't believe this even has to be addressed.

12. Please be this. We need reflective stripes and utility pockets.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted