1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I thought there would be interest here in the following, http://espn.go.com/espnw/commentary/8512889/espnw-mlb-dress-code-leaves-some-feeling-singled-out

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

>>>"Amazingly, not one thing was brought to our attention," Courtney said. "Not one incident."<<<

Because no one paid much attention to it.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a sexist pig, this is my favorite part:

While all the women interviewed said they were very aware of the dress code when picking out their outfit before a game, none of the male reporters asked was.

Duh. Dress code or no dress code, 99 percent of the time women would still think way more about picking out their outfit -- before a game or any other time -- than men.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I didn't get the pun.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

"Look at it from one woman's point of view. She saw a player drop his towel right in front of her like an aggressive dare, but didn't want to report it to MLB. Like a lot of young women, she feared that reporting the incident would make her a pariah in the locker room and destroy her ability to do a job she loves.

Instead, the league instituted a policy to hold her responsible for wearing a skirt that doesn't go down to her knee, but does not address the problem of inappropriate player behavior."

That is not a dress code issue. If baseball is not enforcing player behavior issues or she believes reporting inappropriate player behavior will make it impossible for her to do her job, that is the real issue and it needs to be brought to MLB's attention in some way -- through the writers association, perhaps, or her editor, or maybe AWSM -- and addressed by MLB. That has nothing to do with the reporter dress code. They are not the same issue.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you're talking to me, I have no idea what pun you're talking about.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I was referring to the last sentence in the story you quoted.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I guess because "dress" is in the word "address."

I had to think about it for a bit. Not terribly apparent, is it?

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

In the press box where I spent most of my time, the people most likely to violate the code had no knowledge of it. They weren't BBWAA members, they were radio people, TV and radio interns, people from small papers outside the metro area, the mysterious pitch counters, etc. It was never posted and the team never sent out information on it. The non-BBWAA people in the press box probably outnumber BBWAA by 3-to-1 on most game days.

So what is the point? Hope Susan Slusser has real work to do this postseason instead of wasting more time with this bullshit.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

What did I get from the column?
    Waah, it's hot and we can't wear sleeveless shirts and short skirts. Wear shorts and a polo like everyone else
    It's not a fashion show, it's journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted