1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Dec 6, 2011.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Have not seen this here yet.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/mlb-issues-dress-code-guidelines-for-media-members-2017086.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The no-wear list also includes visible undergarments, excessively short skirts or anything with a team logo.

The rule is sure to include what will become known as the Erin Andrews Exception.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

This is quite unprecedented, right? I've never heard of any leagues endorsing any policies about clothing. But if newspapers/TV stations/magazines/etc. won't do it, it's probably time somebody did.
    Susan put it nicely:
    "Personally, I believe the baseball media in general could dress slightly more professionally," said San Francisco Chronicle writer Susan Slusser, recently elected vice president of the BBWAA and a member of the guidelines panel. "I think it's been a little too casual."

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Who decides what's out of line? The PR director? The general manager? A special committee? The local BBWAA chairperson? A scoreboard vote of fans in the second inning?

What are the standards? Are we against someone wearing a plain t-shirt? Would that be better/worse than someone who's wearing a 1972 sport coat that looks like it's been slept in (BYH knows who I mean).

What if you get a mustard stain on your shirt when you buy a $6 hot dog? Go home to change? Stop at the gift shop and buy a $24 t-shirt? (Whoops, no good....has the team logo!)

Can you set up guidelines for body odor? Excessive cologne/perfume? Are non-affiliated baseball caps OK? Can they be worn backwards? Where do we stand on the classic Pearlman Kangol cap look?

How many buttons can be unfastened on hot days? What about those people who slip their shoes off while they're working? What if someone has put on five pounds and now that skirt is just a little too tight?

In other words, this is a crock of shit. MLB doesn't have the right to pass judgment on what people are wearing when they interview their naked livestock, and the BBWAA has embarrassed itself by playing along with this.

Ever seen what baseball players wear to the park? It wouldn't meet the standards.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I wonder if the panel which created the rules considered midsummer heat in press boxes which are not climate controlled, like at the new Yankee Stadium.

Also, it's possible to have perfectly professional attire which would run afoul of the ban on tank tops.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Obvious solution: Sports writer uniforms.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Somewhere...Dick Whitman has a strange smile breaking over his face and he doesn't know why.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I await word on the amount of the clothing allowance MLB will be providing each credentialed journalist.

9. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

How about a dress code for the prudes working in the FanCave?

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

No more champagne-stained polos after postseason games??

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I wonder about how some of these policies will be effected in spring training. I don't really see what the big issue is with abiding the policy, but I do think it's ludicrous that Major League Baseball is actually enacting the policies.

Some people dress like slobs. They're putting out a negative first impression in a field in which you may only meet a source once. I wouldn't want my reporters dressing like slobs while representing my company in a public place. But MLB has no right to enforce a dress code on my reporters, and I would fiercely fight this policy on the grounds of progressive oversight. Why should we believe MLB will stop here?

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'll assume that's an attempt at humor.

I see that the guidelines include no muscle shirts or flip flops, and they are probably listed because some idiot thought one or the other, or both, was acceptable. Wrong answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted