1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB death watch: Who will be the first manager to be fired/quit?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 15, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This kinda died on the very tail end of Baseball Thead No. 6, but why not: is it time to start the "first manager to be fired/quit" pool?

Leyland looks like he could be working up to one of his customary stomp-offs; wild, erratic lineup changes over the last couple weeks, usually accompanied by emphatic statements that "this is the way the lineup's going to be" (and then completely reversing himself within a couple of days), heated hypersensitive defense of the pitching coach (Hernandez), lengthy CYA self-rationalizations to the adoring beat writers -- it's all looking a bit desperate.

Maybe the Florida, Colorado and Pittsburgh contingents could weigh in? Was this Leyland's modus operandi before his stomp-offs from his earlier jobs?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm going with Willie Randolph. Or if George is the Steinbrenner really pulling the strings, my vote goes to Joe Girardi.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Of course, it may only be a matter of time before Hank gets fed up with him.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

W. Randolph.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Ron Washington in Texas is defintely on the hot seat.

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Ron Washington is a good choice. And, while I'm sorry to say since I like the guy, John Gibbons could be ripe as well.

Randolph still has a while to go.

7. rube

rube Active Member

Well Detroit's about to get swept by the Royals ... again. So I'd say the Tigers are a bit past the initial phases of desperation.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Tigers have been awful, but that whole division is terrible. Two good weeks and the Tigers are in first place. Leyland is a lot of things, but he's probably not dumb. He quits this job and he's done.

Washington is probably a little safer after the Rangers got hot.

I think Randolph is in a world of trouble. the mets are horseshit, upper management has a boner over Manny "three out of four" Acta, the fans are batshit crazy and his players, by and large, don't give a shit and have tuned him out.

Maybe he's gone if the Yanks sweep this weekend. That'd be awesome.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Leyland is 63 years old; he may not really care.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm betting those managers looking up at a Florida team in the standings should be most worried.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

With the way this season has gone so far, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You're saying Bobby Cox should be worried about job security? He ain't giving up that job until he says he's giving it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted