1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB condones World Series ticket scalping

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Oct 24, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just got an e-mail from MLB.comtelling me "World Series tickets available on StubHub."

So I click the link for tomorrow night at Fenway and find 362 tickets for sale. Prices ranging from $715 for a seat in the right field bleachers to more than $7,500 per ticket for a club box.

Way to go, Bud!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Anyone else but me find it perversely ironic that in the same city where StubHub was sued over revealing the ticket owners, scalping of baseball tickets is encouraged?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

MLB, meet NFL.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Arte Moreno, owner of the Angels, has threatened to revoke season ticket privileges of any season ticket holder who resells.

I understand that NFL and MLB do not have to have the same policies in regards to reselling tickets. But for mlb to send that out, while another mlb owner is threatening season ticket holders, is hypocritical.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Logic and Bud Selig are complete strangers.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I sure know about the price hikes. I'm still trying to get a ticket for Game 3 or 4.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Why, yes, I did.

I also liked the price differences:

Individual tickets range from $25 for Game 4 in Denver to $20,589 for Game 7. The seat is right near the batters' circle.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Is scalping -- regardless of various local laws -- OK or not?

I'll admit I'm put off by scalpers for a kid show event like Hannah Montana. I'm not too bothered at all at season ticket holders scalping World Series tickets.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Open economy, to me. Same as people buying the Furbys or the Cabbage Patch Kids or the PS2 or PS3 and reselling them for a profit.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I tried helping Claws get tickets to Game 3 and 4. If I could've bought four, I woulda sold him a pair at face value and put the other two on eBay.

At that rate, the buyer is telling me what he's willing to pay. If no one is willing to pay more than face value, then I get my money back ... but like IJAG said, open economy. I know someone's going to pay three or four times face value.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

So, then, why are people gnashing their teeth over MLB pointing its fans to areas where tickets can be found?

Methinks it's just a chance to slam Selig regardless of what the slam is about. Silly.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ides, it is what it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted