1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com seeking 30 interns

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Wonderlic, Oct 8, 2008.

1. jwerner56

jwerner56 New Member

Bill Hill said he'd send out notifications in mid-February.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The fact that people are begging for information makes it pretty obvious that they'll get 30 people to do it for free without any problem at all.

So why should they pay? Supply, demand, all that...

3. Boyznblu80

Boyznblu80 Member

Did anyone see this job opening on monster.

Baseball reporters @ MLB.com
    MLB. ​com, the official website of Major League Baseball, is seeking freelance and/​or full-time columnists and reporters to help cover Major League Baseball and its teams.​

"We're interested in candidates with solid reporting skills and a strong voice who are as well versed in writing about the sport off the field as they are about the games themselves.," the ad states. "Multimedia experience a plus.​"

Responsibilities include: Column writing from live games across the country, as well as the news of the day off the field; non-column writing that helps feed the beast that is a 24-by-7 deadline cycle; factual reporting; intelligent writing; nuanced analysis and insightful commentary; professional representation of our company inside and outside our walls.​

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not a bigger crock of shit on the planet than that ad.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Indeed. That ad is out there every year.

6. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

I wish MLB could have at least had the decency to have responded to my applying. You stay classy Major League Baseball.

7. Boyznblu80

Boyznblu80 Member

They didn't respond to anyone i think...the only way i got a response was by emailing about the job....getting a confirmation email that they got my packet....and later that they'd be making the decision in mid-February.

8. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen New Member

Just got word through the Varnsen pipeline that MLB is calling prospective interns today and letting the winners know what city it would like them at.

...and the higher-ups haven't had a change of heart. Still unpaid.

9. alicruzco

alicruzco New Member

If Kel's post is true....did anyone hear anything yesterday? I was under the impression it was still mid-Feb...meaning next week.

10. ARose17

ARose17 Member

According to Bill Hill, those who are selected will be called on Monday or Tuesday.

11. alicruzco

alicruzco New Member

anyone get a call today?

12. jwerner56

jwerner56 New Member

My friend got a call on Saturday and was offered the Cubs gig, which would have been his dream job, but already received a paid offer as a copy editor at a metro newspaper in the Midwest. Smart move to get paid at a professional newspaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted