1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com seeking 30 interns

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Wonderlic, Oct 8, 2008.

1. alicruzco

alicruzco New Member

anyone heard anything yet?

2. Boyznblu80

Boyznblu80 Member

3. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Do you think they'll at least let you know one way or another?

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

They have in the past.

5. alicruzco

alicruzco New Member

via mail? e-mail? phone?

6. jwerner56

jwerner56 New Member

Just received an email from Bill Hill this morning that MLB is still taking an intern for each of the 30 MLB teams but that each gig is now unpaid due to economic reasons. Good to hear that 30 people get the chance. This still seems like a good gig for most, but now that it is unpaid, it seems unreasonable unless you get a team that is close to home. I'm still going to keep my name in the running, but this seriously limits the scope of teams I'm available to.

7. AngryJournalist

AngryJournalist New Member

Can college seniors still get this job, then? If you're not receiving college credit, can you legally work for no pay?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. It is called volunteering. They can't make you work for no pay. But you can choose to do so.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jesus effing Christ.

Remember: These guys are FUCKING PRINTING MONEY. There are NO ECONOMIC PROBLEMS AT MLB. NONE.

If you're an mlb.commer, you are officially on the chopping block. The end game is all interns, none of whom make a dime. Book it. Then buy a goddamn T-shirt.

For the interns who do choose to do this, it'll be a nice sign of things to come: You working for nothing.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I was wondering how they'd avoid using freelancers much more than they have in the past, given the assumed dearth of interns.

I imagine given the current economic situation, they will have no problem getting 30 saps willing to live off Mom and Dad while they "work" for MLB dot com.

I would not be surpirsed at all if they also announce a reduction in the per-day stringer rate they will pay in 2009.

I personally have always refused to work for free, throughout my entire life, except for non-profit companies, charities or civic organizations. If someone is in business to make money, I don't think it right to give them your professional services for free, no matter how much experience you might gain from it.

As for all the would-be interns...if they won't even pay you minimum wage, what reason do you have to think they're going to have a job for you in six month for 30k a year or more?

11. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Didn't get an email from MLB.com, so I guess it's safe to assume that I wasn't chosen, correct? So much for letting us know either way I guess...

12. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

What a bunch of bullshit. I'd say the MLB should be absolutely ashamed of itself, but can you feel shame if you have absolutely no sense of decency to begin with?

Salaries from the 30 interns would eat up about 0.004 percent of the league's revenue. To put things into perspective, if A-Rod donated four-and-a-half days' salary, it would account for nearly the entire intern budget (if each intern worked three months).

It's not like the MLB can't afford it. Do they really value journalism this little? How can this possibly be justified; what was the reasoning behind it?

Draft saved Draft deleted