1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com seeking 30 interns

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Wonderlic, Oct 8, 2008.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

MLB.com recently laid off some of their top writers and Justice Hill, who was in charge of interns. It is scaling back the amount of iterns it has, too.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

By about 20.

3. Boyznblu80

Boyznblu80 Member

Someone from the Journal News mentioned that MLB.com laid a bunch of writers off to me the other day...oh well....guess it didn't hurt to try. I'm still actively seeking employment.

4. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Has anyone who applied for this internship heard anything yet? I figured I would have heard something by now one way or another. I sent in my whole packet of info to them way before the deadline and still have yet to hear anything...

Thanks!

5. alicruzco

alicruzco New Member

I applied for the internship as well and have not heard back. They did say we will be notified by the end of January.

6. Boyznblu80

Boyznblu80 Member

same here...applied in november....just waiting for the end of january.

7. boxand1

boxand1 New Member

When I had this internship, I didn't hear anything back until January. Don't worry.

8. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Did this internship give you a good foot in the door towards potentially getting a job with MLB if one became open that you were interested in applying for?

9. Fenix031

Fenix031 New Member

I met Bill Hill at a journalism convention about a year back, and he said these CAN typically lead to jobs. Though with the string of layoffs I'm not sure where that leaves you now.

If you do get IN at MLB though, hook me up! I work in the NFL now, but MLB is my dream job. I'll trade you the football gig for baseball (plus future draft considerations).

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Anyone who is fortunate enough to get one of these handful of internships is crazy to think there's anything at the end of the summer but a pat on the back.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's probably right. I do know that if they have an opening, they do look at the crop of interns (when I had this gig, my reporter was a former intern), but that would mean someone would have to leave, you would have to be the best intern, and you would have to appeal to them more than anyone else on the market, so your chances are overall pretty slim.

Great experience if you put a lot into it, though. And it definitely did help me get my job (not at MLB.com).

12. Boyznblu80

Boyznblu80 Member

well...if it means anything...good luck to everybody that applied...all ten zillion of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted