1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com seeking 30 interns

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Wonderlic, Oct 8, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

he's right. he just beat me to it.

2. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Then people wonder why kids stay in school... I graduated in August and made twice that working in student media. I mean I had 6 jobs and worked 60 hours a week while going to school full time - but I had money.

3. Sportsgal25

Sportsgal25 New Member

I had this gig for about 3 years, and it is definitely a priceless internship. PM me with questions.

4. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

i'd have loved this to be around when i went to college. some former interns stay on with mlb.com fulltime, others have moved on elsewhere like newspapers, teams and sports information.

5. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen New Member

Don't get your hopes up on landing a full-time position -- no matter how well you perform.

The jobs simply aren't there. One beat reporter and one eager associate per team is plenty. Most of MLB's full-timers are young and getting paid well, so not too many are leaving, or even thinking about leaving, in the near future.

With that said, when an opening does come up, MLB has set a precedent of looking exclusively at its previous class of interns to fill it and they will look to do the same if an opening pops up before the 2009 season.

Also, at last check, six of the 20 or so interns of 2008 who had already graduated from college have landed full-time gigs.

6. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

They have plucked some newspaper reporters along the way, Robert Falkoff, Jim Molony, T.R. Sullivan. I'm sure there's others.

7. Bob Sakamano

Bob Sakamano New Member

That's changed, to an extent. It still happens in a few cases, but the number of previous interns asked to return really got reduced a year ago after Bill took over. They want to open up their intern pool (and by extension, potential hiring pool) as much as they can, which means very few returning associates, since those are known quantities. So it might actually be close to 30.

I completed one of these internships before, and it definitely helps. However, be wary that a lot of SEs are a little skeptical since you're writing for a professional team's Web site. You have a lot more license than you might think, but the stigma is what it is. I agree that these are best used as a complement to an internship with a major metro. You can use the major metro for the "name" recognition, and this gives you the edge of professional clubhouse experience.

Of course, all of that is just from a resume/hiring perspective. In terms of improving you as a writer and a beat guy, MLB.com is as good as it gets. Tremendous opportunity. If anyone has questions, feel free to PM.

8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

If I recall correctly, MLB hired a few of these interns in the past, but lately they seem to be hiring only big-time, proven writers. How many interns have a snowball's chance in hell of beating out a Lyle Spencer or a T.R Sullivan?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Outside of Hal Bodley? Not lately. At all.

10. And Bodley and T.R. Sullivan may have been hired to please their "stockholders," rather than out of need for people with that much experience.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

If you've got friends in high places, you'll land there. Marty Noble got his well-deserved gig at mets.com b/c Fred Wilpon "suggested" it. There will always be room for contributors like Bodley and Jack O'Connell who get squeezed out of the rat race. But the meat and potatoes? Forget it if you're older than 23.

12. Dave973

Dave973 New Member

I only have about 3 published articles. I do have about 4 columns though. Should I send the columns anyway?

Draft saved Draft deleted