1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com seeking 30 interns

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Wonderlic, Oct 8, 2008.

1. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I knew a couple of guys who did this in college. One of them has been the MLB Indians reporter pretty much ever since. The other hasn't really figured out what he wants to do with his life three years after graduating, but he definitely enjoyed the internship. I've meet Justice Hill before. He's a pretty good guy. I don't know if this is the same person, though.

2. I did it and it's a good program. Lot's of work, but well worth it. Just find time to do something when the team's away.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I did this a couple years ago, and I thought it was a good program. $500 a week is actually more than it was when I was there ($8.50 an hour plus overtime). There's a lot of work, but honestly it's what you make out of it. You'll have the time to think of story ideas and do enterprise when the team is on the road. Or you can relax.

Overall I thought it was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone.

4. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

For those of you who have had this intern gig, is there any chance you think they'd consider a recent grad (2006) with news experience at a daily not currently taking classes?

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I don't think so. I think they take grads from May, but not from years before. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't hurt to shoot Bill a message.

6. Suicide Squeezer

That was my thought too. It'd be nice to have though just for all the contacts and networking you could build.

7. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I know someone who did this last year and he was NOT in the top 30. Maybe last year was a thin year.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sad part is there are many entry-level jobs that pay less than that. Heck, years ago, I took an internship that paid $500 per MONTH. But I'm sure the experience is priceless.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Heaven help you.

10. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen New Member

This internship is certainly unique in that the majority of time you are working, you are the sole beat writer for either your chosen team or the road team that's in town. There's rarely a moment where you're left surfing the net in the press box, left only to feed quotes to the beat writer. It's not that kind of internship. Basically, when your team is in town, you're writing up to five slugs per game. When they're on the road, you sit at home, work on features, wait for the phone to ring and still get paid the same amount.

Being able to tout that you have experience on a professional beat is seen as a definite plus to employers and played a big part in me landing my current gig. It's a great complement to GA internship at a major metro.

Also, Bill Hill and Justice B. are great guys to work for.

PM me with any questions.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Read the requirements.

12. Suicide Squeezer

Thanks for the suggestion, Stitchy. You're a class act.

Draft saved Draft deleted