1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com reporting internships/Dec. 11 deadline

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Nov 30, 2009.

1. bl67550

bl67550 Member

I just got the rejection email, apparently two years freelancing and campus newspaper work isnt enough :p.
    O well, Im giving up on this biz anyways and moving to professional writing....

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I didn't apply, but thought I'd get hired based on the 100 or so e-mails I sent to Bud.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Quality, not quantity.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Experience itself isn't enough. What did you do for your college rag? With 30 jobs available, that's some pretty tough competition. As for moving on to professional writing, good luck with that, since you based your whole sports writing career on nailing an internship.

5. bl67550

bl67550 Member

How do you get I based my whole sports writing career on an internship? That's far from the truth. I applied for the internship because of the lack of jobs, on top of that, I was being quite silly when listing my prior accomplishments. I didn't much expect to get in when there were over 400 applicants and only 30 spots, its simple math.

It was just a shot in the dark, however I did have the confidence in my works to think myself capable of such a job, and I would have jumped at the opportunity, but knew all along it was a long shot.

I'm moving to professional writing because the upside in that industry is far greater than in journalism, good writing will always be in high demand, for whatever reason, it seems that good journalism just isn't ={

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This post led me to that conclusion

"I just got the rejection email, apparently two years freelancing and campus newspaper work isnt enough.
    O well, Im giving up on this biz anyways and moving to professional writing...."

If you learn to use punctuation, you'd have a shot.

7. bl67550

bl67550 Member

Wow...are you just out for me or something? Calm it a notch dude...

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I think it's just because a lot of us see college kids who wrote twice for the Daily Gleaner and fellated the basketball team for two years at the campus rag, including running diaries of "Life in the Student Section," come out of college thinking that they're on top of the world.

It's not personal, but sorry, you're not. Most kids aren't. Hell, all kids aren't. There were 30 jobs from an applicant pool that likely numbered into the thousands. Don't take it as a slight. Take it as motivation. Go hustle for work and show them why you were more deserving than the other guy.

9. bl67550

bl67550 Member

Thanks, I honestly don't see myself on top of the world right now, I may not be 30 and out of a job, but Im on the cusp of graduating without the prospect of a job and the possibility of moving in with the parents again...from my point of view, that's just as scary as the solid vet getting canned.

Tough times right now....

P.S. It's a freaking online forum...screw punctuation :p

10. pce2210

pce2210 New Member

just got the rejection email the other day...very general mass email...sick

Draft saved Draft deleted