1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com reporting internships/Dec. 11 deadline

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Nov 30, 2009.

1. CCaple

CCaple Member

Covered the Mariners last year as part of this program, and it was easily (and maybe this should be obvious) the best summer of my life. You'd prefer $500 a week to zero, but the fact is that you're spending an entire summer basically functioning as a beat guy for a Major League baseball team. It's unrivaled experience for a college kid.

Glad to see they're paying this year, though, even if I am a tad jealous now. ;)

2. johann

johann Guest

I believe the $500-per-week salary came in response to aggressive questions of Bud Selig at the All-Star Game BBWAA meeting about how the internships became unpaid this past season. Nice to see that was addressed.

3. ARose17

ARose17 Member

At least we got reimbursed for press box meals last year. That was a lifesaver, since they stopped giving away the free hot dogs in the press box at Turner Field last sesaon.

4. BCox34

BCox34 New Member

Having never spent time in a major league press box, I was moderately surprised when media covering the Houston College Classic this past season had to pay for food. My school paper refused to pay for any part of my coverage of that tournament since the paper doesn't print on weekends.

To those wondering about the application process: I received an e-mail today stating I was in the top 60 applicants and they requested some more information. Just letting yall know you should be looking out for an e-mail.

5. upncoming

upncoming New Member

I know they made they cut for the top 60. Has anyone heard anything final yet'?

6. pce2210

pce2210 New Member

is it safe to say that no email=no internship?

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just chiming in here. The A's intern from 08 just got hired to the beat full time.

Good luck

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

they will give you the wood with the taxes though. mlb.com is based in NY and those taxes are high. i don't know the income tax laws of every state but if you live in NJ or CT and work in NY you get hit there also. you're right that's it's an internship so i guess it is better than working for free. but i imagine you also will be putting in more hours for this than most interns at newspapers.

9. cjericho

I know this is just a message board, but since the guy who is hiring reads it you may not want to use "has to of heard."

10. DarkTower

DarkTower New Member

A) CJericho, relax. It's not like MLB knows applicants by their SJ handles.
    B) Yes, it's really paid. Had a few friends do the NY internship a couple years back. They didn't get jobs, but they learned a lot. One left the internship early to work for a Texas paper covering high school football.
    C) They're now in the final stages of selecting applicants, according to a little birdie.

11. BCox34

BCox34 New Member

Thank you for the update. As Jan. 20 neared, I was starting to wonder about the internship since I had not heard anything after replying to the Top 60 E-mail.

While the internship would be nice, I graduate in May so I'm trying to keep my eyes open for anything.

12. cjericho

you're right but i was just offering a little advice. if you think i wasn't relaxed see what some people here say when others use must of, could of, etc.

what was the pay for those internships? if it was $500 a week, i'm guessing the bi-weekly take home was maybe $800.

Draft saved Draft deleted