1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com reporting internships/Dec. 11 deadline

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Nov 30, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

These cool gigs come up every year. Hopefully some Sjer's get a shot.

2. LemMan

LemMan Member

I take it this isn't open to those of us who graduated college in 2000?

3. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Gobbluth, only way I was able to do it was living with the parents. But still, it was a great experience. Feel free to PM for details.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

More and more, this business is for the young, and only the young, at least in terms of opportunities.

Anyone who isn't an editor at a good-sized paper by the time they're 30, 32 at the latest, is going to be SOL in most cases.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Isn't that nice, the scumbags who run MLB.com are going to pay people this year. Isn't that cute. Does this mean Bud and Bob won't use the economy as an excuse to lay some people off and save some coin? Disingenious assholes.

6. DennisReynolds

DennisReynolds New Member

Oh, so I managed to get this internship the one year they didn't pay (this past season)? Fantastic. It was a great experience and all, but I had to have a second (paying) job on the side, sometimes doing both in the same day. And so far, having it on my resume hasn't paid off with a gig. I don't regret doing it, and I'm happy for the interns this year who will get paid, but sheesh ...

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Nice to see they're paying again. It's a great experience if you make the most out of it. I can't recommend it enough.

8. guyfromma

guyfromma New Member

I interviewed with Bill Hill a few years back and the man wants to see baseball clips -- just for anyone who's looking into this opportunity.

9. dvillavicencio6

dvillavicencio6 New Member

I was the associate reporter with the Marlins this past season. It figures that I would get it the only year they didn't pay :-\. Overall it was a fantastic experience but I wish they would have paid me,especially since there wasn't an available position after the season. For the record, everyone I worked with was fantastic at MLB.com and you would be getting an fantastic opportunity with this internship.

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

The original post sure brought a ton of new people to the site for some reason.

11. Bill Hill

Bill Hill New Member

For those of you who plan on applying for this internship, what I'm primarily looking for is evidence that you can cover a beat. If selected, that's what you will be doing. Functioning as a backup beat reporter. That means your clips should be gamers, previews, and features. (They do not have to be about baseball.) Your blogging and opinion pieces are not likely to sway me. If you have covered a major beat at your school newspaper, or had a quality summer internship, I will consider you a serious candidate. Good luck!

12. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Refreshing to see that they don't care about seeing people's blogs. Will definitely weed out some of the wannabe's.

Draft saved Draft deleted