1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com reporting internships/Dec. 11 deadline

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bill Hill

Bill Hill New Member

2010 Summer Internships at MLB.com

Want an exciting summer covering Major League Baseball? MLB.com offers 30 reporting internships to aspiring sportswriters. These internships are designed to give associates the full range of experiences that comes with covering a professional team. Each associate will work closely with a site reporter to give visitors to a team’s Web site all the information they need to follow the team from Opening Day to season’s end. Each Major League team will have one associate.

We will be looking for talented college juniors and seniors, as well as graduate students, for our 2010 Summer Internship Program. If you are graduating in May or June of 2010, you are still eligible. The application deadline is Dec. 11, 2009. We will make our selections by the end of January.

We expect each intern to spend a minimum of 10 weeks in the program, dates determined by a person’s college schedule. The more flexible an applicant is in terms of which Major League city he or she can work in, the better the person’s chances of being selected. Interns will be paid $500 per week.

Applicants should submit a resume, 5 to 10 published articles, a list of references and a 750-word essay on why MLB.com should select you? Your clips ideally will show a variety of work, including game stories, previews and features.

MLB.com also will be offering a limited number of internships for copy editors/producers.

Associates are responsible for arranging their own housing and transportation.

Please mail all internship applications to:

Bill Hill
    Assistant Managing Editor/MLB.com
    Attn: Internship Application
    14825 N. 97th Place
    Scottsdale, AZ 85260

If you have any questions, contact Bill Hill at bill.hill@MLB.com and put the words “Internship Info” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.

MLB Advanced Media

MLB Advanced Media, L.P. (MLBAM) is the interactive media and Internet company of Major League Baseball. MLBAM manages the official league site, www.MLB.com, and the 30 club sites to create the most comprehensive resource for Major League Baseball on the Internet.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

$500 a week at an internship???

Holy hell. That's the equivalent of a $26,000 per year job (before taxes of course). Way more than 99% of entry level sports writing jobs.

I obviously interned at the wrong places.

3. scribe77

scribe77 New Member

I believe the $500-per-week salary came in response to aggressive questions of Bud Selig at the All-Star Game BBWAA meeting about how the internships became unpaid this past season. Nice to see that was addressed.

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

And addressed quite generously.

I interned with a minor league team and was paid something like $80 a week for working 60-70 hour weeks at times.

I guess the post game spread really is better in The Show.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's too bad teams can't pay someone a decent wage working their butt off when athletes are making money hand over fist playing a sport. They wouldn't be making as much money if they didn't have the slaves doing the grunt work of promotions and ticket sales.

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yup. And the hell of it was the fact that the players treated the interns like shit whenever we had to work with them.

7. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Wow. I had one of these internships last summer. It was paid all the years before last year, and now it's paid again. But I didn't get paid a dime. That's cold.

8. tmr

tmr Member

The last two White Sox interns got full-time gigs in the past two months in Lubbock and Muncie. It's a great experience, unmatched really, for a summer gig, especially if you get paired with a good beat writer. You have to write the PR stories, sure, but you get a ton of gamers and stories under your belt.

9. I'm in my 10th year in this business with an APSE under my belt and I don't make that much. More power to the interns, but damn, this makes me feel a little shitty.

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

If I had a full-time job to quit, I'd put in my two weeks and be an intern.

11. Justafo

Justafo Guest

I was the White Sox intern two years ago and would highly recommend this internship to any serious journalism students looking to get some big-time beat experience under their belt.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

12. gobbluth

gobbluth New Member

I applied for an was accepted to this program last year but had to pass when MLB took away the stipend (Who can live for five-ish months in a big city on $0?). I took a full-time job — not sports, not pleasant — out of desperation instead. And now, a year later, MLB decides to pay MORE than I make currently.

Ouch.

Draft saved Draft deleted