1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com removes Buehrle quotes from story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DietCoke, Feb 10, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've always been a huge fan.

Now, I've got a mancrush on him. Well, except if he asked that the quotes be removed. Wich I bet he didn't.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Of course he didn't remove them himself. As I wrote earlier, that's not how things work at MLB.com. And complaints, believe it or not, don't always come from teams. A lot of times it comes from editors higher-up than the person paginating the story. I don't know this situation, but I bet that's what happened, an MLB.com editor (or exec) flipped out when this made national news.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Egyptian State TV doesn't see what the problem is.

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The BBWAA does not admit MLB.com writers.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does anyone else remember the pages-long debates on MLB.com's journalistic validity a few years back? There was an MLB.com stringer who screeched that writers there could write the exact same thing as anyone else. I am having a true LOLz recalling that. Plenty of good people, writers and journalists working there, but the site and its upper management is a fucking joke.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, we also had people swearing that it was find and dandy to have an MLB.com editor judging APSE awards.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

What difference does it make? BBWAA pretty much exists to vote on awards.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To that extent, it's pretty clear from this example that the writers would be under a lot of pressure to bastardize the process. What if an editor is scanning the list and sees that Buehrle didn't get a Cy Young vote? Writer could be in trouble.

Beyond that, though, and maybe a beat writer can chime in, I was under the impression that the BBWAA helped set some ground rules regarding access, credentials etc. And players are prone to viewing all reporters as one and the same anyway; if a player can get quotes killed in one reporter's work, what's to make him think he can't do it with the newspaper reporter, and then hold it against the reporter when he finds out he can't?

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

That is correct. BBWAA is working with MLB and the players' union in discussing access rules as part of collective bargaining negotiations.

http://bbwaa.com/about/

10. DietCoke

DietCoke Member

This is not true. Baseball players understand the significance of the BBWAA. It is instant credibility to players.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Oh bullshit.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Those comments should get Buehrle into the Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted