1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com Layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

MLB has figured it out there is no revenue in digital advertising. Yes, this is a billion-dollar industry but you avoid over-extension problems like ESPN ran into by trimming the fat and keeping thin and fit. It's the same as not over-eating just because you can. There are usually consequences down the road for such actions.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

exactly

3. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

I saw Carrie Muskat left MLB.com in November (she wrote about the Cubs). Seemed like a weird circumstance. Couldn't tell if it was a layoff or if they just couldn't agree on a contract. She seemed to do a good job and had a huge following on Twitter, so I was surprised. Maybe I shouldn't have been.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

1) I was wondering the same thing about Muskat. In fact, I saw a story just now about the new Cubs beat writer (moving from Cleveland) who praised her extensively but simply referred to her "departure," as opposed to retirement, for example, or her new job, if she has one.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I think MLB likes the idea of having writers, videographers, etc., so it can control the message. That's certainly been the trend in recent years by college programs and some other pro teams (Dan Snyder of the Redskins has tried to do it, and largely failed). But I can also see where MLB could tighten the budget more and more.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seems like they had a similar situation in San Francisco. Maria Guardado now on the Giants beat for MLB, but it's like Chris Haft disappeared without a trace.

Draft saved Draft deleted