1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mdpoppy, Oct 18, 2007.

1. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

http://jobsearch.mlb.careers.monster.com/jobsearch.asp?re=5&pg=2&col=dlt&sort=rv&vw=b

They're pretty much hiring for every team for the 2008 season ... anyone have any more info on these jobs? Salary?

Sports Reporter:

MLB.com, the Internet's fastest growing Web site and the Official Site of Major League Baseball, is seeking freelance reporters to help cover Major League Baseball for the 2008 season. We're interested in candidates with solid reporting skills and a strong voices who are as well versed in writing about the sport off the field as they are about the games themselves.

Responsibilities include:

- Live reporting off of games, as well as the news of the day off the field.

- Factual reporting; intelligent writing.

- Professional representation of our company inside and outside our walls.

- Multimedia experience a plus.

Qualifications include:

- Four-year degree preferred.

- Passion for the sport, as well as a thorough knowledge of the sport.

- Experience in writing on deadline.

- Able to produce clean, crisp copy.

- Team player to work in field, as well as with editors.

- Good communicator and well-organized.

- Self-starter with a wealth of ideas.

- Willing to travel.

- Bilingual a plus.

Note: Baseball reporter job openings are subject to business requirements, and, as such, MLB.com positions may not be available with respect to all MLB teams. Only applicants that apply online will be considered. No phone calls please.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

That's possibly the same thing Pete Incaviglia was looking at:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/48354/

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I think this is more likely for getting new writers to work on their minor league site. Pay isn't that good (P/T, $13-15 per) and you work out of the main office in lower Manhattan. Better be able to work routinely until 2:00 am or later. It's a good atmosphere, but unless they make more editorial hires, nights will be miserable there, especially once the short-season scrub leagues start.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I got an email about this through my journalism school a few months ago....

Pay range: $8.50 per hour for students, $10 per hour for grad students and recent grads.

Work is 40-50 hours per week; interns are paid hourly.

They are hiring an intern for every MLB team plus a few copy editors, photogs and minor league guys. So it might be a few more than the ad says.

Decisions are to be made by Dec 21.

Oh yeah, interns must work at least 10 wks.

5. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

6. Brewers outfielder Bill Hall is sorting through the applications. Guess he got the AME job through Selig. It's always who you know...

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

He would be if his last name was HILL, but it's HALL, and this guy's name is HILL.

8. It's a typo...or a cleverly designed trick to throw you off the scent of the shadiness going on at the MLB offices. Way to go Nathan for seeing through their sick game.

9. espnguy

espnguy Member

Is that the same Bill Hill who was ASE at the Arizona Republic? I know it's a common name, but I am curious if it is the same guy.

10. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Yes, it is.

11. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Spent some time with MLB.com as an intern when I was younger. Enjoyed it. Worked with a veteran baseball reporter. Learned a lot from him. Had pretty free rein about what I wrote, so long as it came in before deadline.

That said, an internship is about the only way for younger folks (read: have not previously covered baseball for a paper) to get in the door and write. The reporters in Cleveland, Minnesota and Toronto are all former interns. Heard they bumped up the pay for interns. Also, they are bringing in more and more interns to cover the minors.

Would be a good opportunity for some younger folks.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

The reporter in Pittsburgh is also a former MLB.com intern.

Draft saved Draft deleted