1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com 2015 summer internships

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Bill Hill

Bill Hill New Member

2015 Summer Internships

Want an exciting summer covering Major League Baseball? MLB.com offers 30 reporting internships to aspiring sportswriters. These internships are designed to give associates the full range of experiences that come with covering a professional team. Each associate will work closely with a site reporter to give visitors to a team’s Web site all the information they need to follow the team from Opening Day to season’s end. Each Major League team will have one associate.

Students who are currently juniors or seniors, as well as graduate students, are eligible for our 2015 Summer Internship Program. If you are graduating in December 2014, you are still eligible. All applications must be postmarked by Nov. 21, 2014. We will make our selections by the end of January.

We expect each intern to spend a minimum of 10 weeks in the program, dates determined by a person’s college schedule. Interns who have graduated generally are allowed to work until the end of the season.

Interns will be paid $500 per week.

Applicants should submit a resume, 6 to 10 published articles, a list of references and a 750-word essay on why you should be selected. Your clips ideally will show a variety of work, including game stories, previews and features. Previous experience covering a beat is preferred.

Associates are responsible for arranging their own housing and transportation.

Please mail all internship applications to:

Bill Hill
    Assistant Managing Editor/MLB.com
    Major League Baseball/Western Operations
    2415 E. Camelback Rd., Ste. 850
    Phoenix, AZ 85016

If you have any questions, please contact Bill Hill at bill.hill@MLB.com and put the words “Internship Info” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.

MLB Advanced Media

MLB Advanced Media, L.P. (MLBAM) is the interactive media and Internet company of Major League Baseball. MLBAM manages the official league site, www.MLB.com, and the 30 club sites to create the most comprehensive resource for Major League Baseball on the Internet.

2. tgg33

tgg33 New Member

Don't bother if one of the following is true:

1. I don't attend a top 10 journalism school.
    2. I don't have work published at a top 100 daily.
    3. I don't like writing public relations.

3. Florida_Man

Florida_Man Member

Disregarding the above post because a) my J-school was borderline top-10, I suppose, b) I had no position and only two clips at a major daily when I applied and c) I don't feel like this internship is a PR internship, I'll say:

I'm wrapping up this internship now. It's fantastic and a great program.

You're with the team every day when it's at home, as if you were a full-time beat writer. Plenty of days, you'll be MLB.com's only writer with that team and you'll be responsible for all the coverage. It's a lot of responsibility, but if you want to be a sports writer (considering the website, I think that's a safe bet) then this is a great internship.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't get it, huh? Sorry to hear.

I can assure you the above is 100 percent bullshit. I've had interns on my staff who have gone on to these positions and known plenty of others who have been involved. It is a terrific program and it stands out on a resume.

PR? Well, MLB.com is always going to have to deal with that charge, as are many affiliated websites. Nature of the beast. The business has changed so much and will continue to change. A shit ton of respected journalists have gone to work for these sites and I can assure you there is no "stigma" attached by most of the hiring managers in our business. Some maybe, but that's their loss.

Bill Hill is a pro and as respected as anyone in our business. This has been and continues to be an excellent program. It is competitive. You may not get a slot even if you are extremely qualified. But you won't get it if you don't go after it. Go after it hard.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let me also try to answer the why here: the one's I've had who have been in this program can handle the type of workload the business requires today. You look at them and say I need this, this, this and then that and they don't look at you all glassy-eyed. They say, 'OK, got it' and they go out and get it done.

You will come out of this program prepared. It's that simple.

Draft saved Draft deleted