1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Collage honoring Black History Month

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Feb 2, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Few issues here:
    1) Derek Jeter front and center and in a spotlight, no less? Talk about recency bias and Yankee love. This, remember, is a franchise that dragged its Manhattan wing tips for eight years before integrating after another team in its own city broke the barrier. Derek Jeter is neither the greatest black player of all time nor a pioneer. He is a great player and a diplomat, both of which are admirable but neither of which compels this honor.
    2) Speaking of which, Jackie Robinson isn't in the place of honor?
    3) Rickey Henderson, anybody?
    4) I'm guessing Frank Thomas and Bo Jackson did not consent to have team logos in their images. (Perhaps this sort of thing explains 3 above.)
    5) Frank Robinson, baseball's first black manager, exiled to the far right side?
    6) Literally half of MLB's current franchises aren't represented.
    7) Who's the catcher next to Tony Gwynn?
    8) Who's the Pirate between Reggie and Larkin?

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

1. Manky's collage.
    2. Absolutely agree.
    7. Roy Campanella

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That was my thought on the until I noticed the guy in the lowest row between Larkin and McCovey. Isn't that Campanella? Or is that Don Newcombe?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is an interesting discussion to be had about how analytics have "devalued" black players. Gwynn (a singles hitter? pass), Rickey, Brock, Wills (who steals bases anymore)? Is Fergie the only pitcher shown? And with homers and fly balls being preferred, speed in the outfield isn't that much of a necessity and the shifts make infield range less important.
    I'm guessing Reggie would fit in.

MeanGreenATO likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Rickey Henderson was more than stolen bases. He's top 15 all-time in WAR. And no, Fergie Jenkins is not the only pitcher shown.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know that - he also walked a ton and was a great defensive player. Of course he would have been an All-Star in any era - but the argument stands about analytics valuing some skills over others.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rickey Henderson might be the single best player ever and he's not on that collage?

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Curt Flood is something of an omission

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jeter front and center is obnoxious. Totally agree on Frank Robinson being downplayed.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe I overstated Rickey but I always take his stolen bases and runs into account.

Rickey: 3,081 games, 3,055 hits (13,346 PA), 2,295 runs, 510 doubles, 66 triples, 297 homers, 1,115 RBIs, 1,406 SBs, .279/.820

Frank Robinson: 2,808 games, 2,943 hits (11,742), 1,829 runs, 528 doubles, 72 triples, 586 homers, 1,812 RBIs, 204 SBs, .294/.926

Bonds: 2,986 games, 2,935 hits (12,606), 2,227 runs, 601 doubles, 77 triples, 762 homers, 1,996 RBIs, 514 SBs, .298/1.051, 2,558 walks

Mays: 2,952 games, 3,283 hits (12,496), 2,062 runs, 523 doubles, 140 triples, 660 homers, 1,903 RBIs, 338 SBs, .302/.941

Aaron: 3,298 games, 3,771 hits (13,941), 2,174 runs, 624 doubles, 98 triples, 755 homers, 2,297 RBIs, 240 SBs, .305/.928, 6856 total bases

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Newcomb definitely in the bottom row. I debated whether the other was Campanella or Elston Howard. Campanella was a better player, so I'm pretty sure it is him.
    Agree with the complaints about Jeter's positioning. FRobby definitely underplayed. He was right there alongside Aaron and Mays.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The Answer to question 8 -- has to be Willie Stargell. I don't see him anywhere else

Draft saved Draft deleted