1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB clubhouse etiquette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Apr 2, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't forget to grind it in with your heel.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Make sure to comment on the size of their unit, comparing it to their nearest locker neighbor, or to your own. That's always a good ice-breaker.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I did that. I sat on a guy's clubhouse chair while interviewing my guy who had his head down by his shoes. Fucker was pissed. I felt bad. Then he got cut and I've never heard anything about him since. So much for being that organization's minor league player of the year.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

This isn't clubhouse but generally you don't want to try to talk to players/coaches/the manager during BP. If you're tight with them and they're clearly just standing around, maybe...but generally it's safest to let them get their work in, watch their players take BP, whatever, and get them after they come off the field.

Also, I wouldn't try to interview to the players while they're sitting on that precious clubhouse furniture. If they're watching TV on the couch with other players, wait until they get up and go back to their locker to interview them.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what about cleaning your unit free of spunk with a player's uni? teams, players good with that?

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

To break the ice, you can also talk about how good of a player you were in high school.

Then, run down all your memorable highlights from your senior year.

7. moonlight

moonlight Member

Hey, thanks guys for your help. There's a lot of good stuff here that I'm glad I now know.

There's also a lot of useless bullshit, but that's why I come to SportsJournalists.com...For the useless bullshit!

8. I should clarify ... if you're 1-on-1'ing, some places its acceptable to sit in an unoccupied at a connecting locker, but make sure you get up when Bobby Big-hitter comes back for his seat.

Draft saved Draft deleted