1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Charging for gameday audio?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Mar 31, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well I'm too lazy to check.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've gone through 10 links for Cleveland. Some of them say "MLB doesn't allow online streaming of games" or whatever, and others are playing something completely different.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The site is a nice scam to get cheap clicks.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That could be an argument in favor of the desktop radio.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The only online station that didn't black out Indians games was a tiny one in Findlay until about three-four years ago. Someone from the MLB or the Indians must've finally told them to take it off. That station was a little secret I shared with Indians fans for about five years before it got cut off.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I live within range of two stations that carry the Cubs -- one an affiliate that I can pick up in the day, WGN-AM I can get at night (albeit fringe range, with spotty sound quality). That's the team I follow most -- and I can still pick up a handful of other games over the air while driving around -- Reds, Indians, Cardinals, Phillies (used to be able to get the Tigers, Pirates and Braves before they were dumped from the local clear-channel stations), so I've never sprung for Gameday Audio.

But if I couldn't get the Cubs broadcasts? $20 is next to nothing.

Thankfully, the NHL still allows free streaming, which I avail myself of quite a bit.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I have the At Bat app on my Android phone. I get 3G coverage pretty much everywhere except for a half-mile stretch close to home. Just pop on my Bluetooth headset and I'm set.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You can get the NFL games on apps like IHeartRadio and Tune In, too. Just have to find the right flagship station.
    Only downside is there's a long delay (at least a minute; seems like it was about two plays behind), so if you're trying to watch the game on TV and listen to the hometown announcers it's a little frustrating.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Best bargain in sports, $15 for every game, amazing.
    I'm waiting til June to get the Evo 3D so I won't buy it til then. Worth every penny.

Draft saved Draft deleted