1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Charging for gameday audio?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Mar 31, 2011.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

If you are in a CBSSports.com fantasy league, you now get MLB audio and video highlights for free. Took me a bit to find the audio, but all you have to do is go into the Live Scoring link. There's an icon next to each player.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I know this is not what you're talking about, but I've had the MLB.com app the last few years and enjoy it. I just listen to the games on the iPhone (or iPad, if you're pulling down upper management pay). For, I think, $20 more a month you can also get the live video for all the games also.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

$20 a year for the home and visiting team broadcast of every game (listen live or later) is a hell of a deal.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you have to purchase the full MLB.tv package which is like $120 for the year. I was going to do it, but I work in a different state than I live in and my favorite team's games are blacked out where I work. Not sure I'll watch enough games at home for it to be worth it, considering I'll probably get to see 40-50 games on cable.

5. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

The deal between CBSSports.com and MLB to add the audio to the Commissioner fantasy leagues is a really good one. These are the fee-based leagues (as opposed to the free ones) on CBS, but if you have a 12-team league and split up the fee, it runs you maybe $12 or $15 per person for the season.

What's a little odd is that not all the leagues charge for radio broadcasts. The NHL lets you listen for free, and I believe the NBA does too if you register on NBA.com.

And if you want to watch baseball, MLB.tv is priced a lot lower than the Extra Innings TV package, with a lot of interactivity and flexibility. You can stream MLB.tv to your TV set through a PlayStation 3 and a few other devices, and there are some Samsung and LG TVs and Blue-ray players that have an app that lets you do that.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Exactly. I've had this for about 6 years now, and worth every penny.

Bitching about $20 for access to listen to every broadcast (along w/ Spanish for you bi folks out there) over a 162-game season? Ridiculous.

Last time I checked, a desktop radio in Baltimore doesn't pick up Mariners broadcasts.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I have to imagine MLB radio broadcasts are much more valuable than NBA, NHL broadcasts are to their respective leagues. An NBA or NHL game radio broadcast is a car-only thing in my experience, to catch a score.

Listening to a baseball radio broadcast is something many people still actually do on a daily basis. You don't lose much as a fan between the radio and the television experience.

The NBA and NHL need to be seen to be completely enjoyed. Not so with baseball.

If baseball gives away their broadcasts, they're giving away everything.They replace Extra Innings or MLB.TV for many people. An NBA radio broadcast isn't going to replace watching a game on TNT or ESPN.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Rather than bitching at mustang for not wanting to shell out the $20, perhaps somebody can help. Just a thought.

If you decide to listen on Internet radio, here:

http://www.freebaseballradio.com/index.html

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Those just link to the streams of affiliate stations. In theory, that shouldn't work

10. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I grew up in Pittsburgh, with parents who refused to get cable and Mike Lange on the radio doing Penguins games. I remember listening to him on Lemieux's eight-point game against the Flyers in the 1989 playoffs ... thought he was going to spontaneously combust.

I agree, I'd much rather watch on TV, but I find that same experience you're talking about in baseball when I listen to hockey on the radio. I guess it's just all those years of visualizing as I listened to Lange.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And in practice, it does. I had the Pirates game up within minutes of posting that.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Yeah, I should've added the caveat that this was simply my experience. I bet there are millions in hockey areas that have the same love affair with their local radio guys.

I don't care where you're from, the NBA on the radio sucks, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted