1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Charging for gameday audio?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Mar 31, 2011.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Lessee ... $20 for a subscription that gives you the option to listen to either your local team(s) or any other game that happens to be on vs. whatever it costs for a radio (and most often this is going to be $0, because you already have one lying around) to listen to your local team(s). Sounds like a good set of options to me.

2. New? It's been at least a decade since they took control of the online radio feeds.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I don't think this is new. I used to pay for MLB.TV until I got smart enough to find plenty of sites that stream the games for free. Even with MLB.TV, I would have to pay extra for radio.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Your computer could broadcast any game from anywhere. Your radio can only pick up certain signals.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Co-sign.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Internet is on computers now.

7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I swear, I thought someone must have bumped this from 2002.

It's the biggest bargain in sports. It's 20 bucks to listen to any game, all year long. STFU and pay them.

8. beanpole

beanpole Member

Next thing you know they'll charge people to sit in the stands. Bastards will probably gouge them on beer prices, too.

9. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

The nerve.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This, a million times. Even if I only listen to 100 games a year, it works out to 20 cents per game, and last I checked MLB.com archived the radio broadcasts for at least a day or two. I've been off the bandwagon the past few years but subscribed again this year.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get mlb.tv in about a month. :(

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What sucks about mlb.tv is that even though I live 400 miles from Atlanta, the Braves are still blacked out because we're considered part of their television market. Even so, all the Braves games aren't available on the local cable system and my landlord won't allow me to get a dish.

Hence, I subscribe to MLB Gameday Audio and have an XM subscription for the car.

Draft saved Draft deleted