1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB, can of worms, salary cap, dead horse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 15, 2009.

1. No.
    Go away now.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Yankees have been overspending for how long?

And after 2000, they've won how many North American championships?

Mmmkay.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

What the hell are you doing with your fancy pants facts?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If you knew, absolutely KNEW, that installing a salary cap would save lives, would you do it?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Give me a choice between a floor and a cap, I would rather baseball add a floor so teams will stop pocketing the money from revenue sharing and at least try. Nutting has absolutely no room to talk until he actually starts trying to win rather than just maximizing profits.

I do find it very entertaining that the very same people who are often saying you cannot compare the NFL and MLB because they are set up so differently immediately used the NFL owners' latest fight with the union as an argument against a salary cap in baseball. Which is it? Can you compare the two sports or not?

I think you can, but the comparison is always going to be flawed because so much of baseball's revenues comes in through the individual teams. Attendance is a much larger source of revenue because there are so many more games in baseball and most of the TV money comes in through the teams' individual contracts.

If anything, baseball needs a salary floor and a cap more than the NFL does because the differences in revenues among the individual franchises are larger.

2mcm, I applaud your attempt at keeping this off the other threads, but I doubt it will succeed. It has been tried before. The result was a locked thread and the same old crap elsewhere. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and that we can be more civil this time around.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The stupidity revealed in that post is boundless.....

How many teams have won as many or more WS championships as the Yankees since 1996? 1995? 1993? 1983? 1973? 1963? 1953? 1943? 1933?

See how easy that is?

Zip it.

7. Simon_Cowbell

No point.

The difference between having a $20M roll and $50M is absolutely nil against a dozen teams with 300 percent greater payrolls than 50M.

8. outofplace

I have sycophants? Wow. How did I not know that?

9. Simon_Cowbell

I have remoras.

10. outofplace

Interesting choice, given that it would put you in the role of a shark.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Indeed!

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Smash, you could cinch down that young talent for several years with deals well above the six-figure salaries all youngsters get. And if you believe teams are below the theoretical floor because they're developing young talent for the future, and not just to get rid of when their salaries would become too high in arbitration, I have a bridge to sell you.

Draft saved Draft deleted