1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB brings the hammer down on Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 27, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Twitter chatter tonite is that all MLB.com writers are now forbidden from tweeting about anything other than baseball. Also, MLB scolded players re: Twitter.

No word in what MLB said to former MLBer Mike Bascik.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: MLB brings the hammer down in Twitter

I can't find fault with restricting MLB.com Tweeters to only tweeting baseball. I hate it on ESPN.com and other sites where writers' Twitter sites are run in their entirety and you get all the RTs, dumb photos and conversations interspersed with the stuff actually pertaining to their sport.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: MLB brings the hammer down in Twitter

And that's one of the big reason. Firvtue ban, it appears. MLB doesn't want feeds cluttered up with non-baseball stuff.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wait. I thought MLB.com wasn't overseen/governed by MLB, that it was basically independent of the corporation.

You know:

So-and-so is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

You're funny.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Yeah, nothing to do with Bacsik, but in general, try to avoid the word "Mexicans" in your tweets, writers.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What if I am a MLB.com writer who wants to Tweet about non baseball things? Would I be able to have different accounts?

I'm not a MLB.com writer, FWIW.

Draft saved Draft deleted