1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB breaks Jason

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jun 21, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

NEW YORK — Jason Giambi agreed Thursday to meet with baseball steroids investigator George Mitchell and apologized for his conduct, becoming the first active player known to cooperate with the former Senate majority leader.
    “I alone am responsible for my actions and I apologize to the commissioner, the owners and the players for any suggestion that they were responsible for my behavior,” the New York Yankees star said in a statement.
    The decision by Giambi came two weeks after baseball commissioner Bud Selig requested the meeting and followed long negotiations between lawyers for the players’ union and Major League Baseball.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good for Jason. It sounds like he's following his conscience and doing what he feels he needs to do for his fellow players, his teammates and himself.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Giambi had no choice but to go along with Bud Selig's decree. Is he doing the right thing morally? Yes. Is he going to hurt his career? Yes. Once he admits what he has done, the Yankees and their lawyers will void his contact.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

or he didn't want to be suspended.

5. boots

boots New Member

It's blackmail.

6. thedeparted

thedeparted New Member

This is a no win situation for Jason, he will be blackballed either way. At least if the Yankees void his contract he may be able to get on with another team, however either way you look at it his involvement with this investigation will cost him millions. Regardless of how he got here.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, teams are going to want to sign a guy who can't run the bases or field his position and is an admitted steroid cheat.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's not even blackmail, really. Suspension has from the beginning been an empty threat issued for publicity reasons only and Giambi undestood he could beat that in front of an arbitrator. His contract is not in jeopardy, either. His decision does allow Commissioner Selig to save face and look tough, plus Giambi gets to put this past him, and somebody talks to Mitchell's silly little investigation. And Giambi stll doesn't have to say anything everyone doesn't already know. Everybody wins.

9. thedeparted

thedeparted New Member

Trust me, someone will find a spot for a guy that can pound like Jason, hitting is a valuable commodity becasue nobody can do it. Although it is embarrassing that the guy was injured while rounding the bases on a HR trot.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not a chance. He won't say anything that would jeopordize his contract. He's talkng from a position of strength - he & the union dictated the terms of the conversation.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think I saw this scenario on The Shield when Kavanaugh went after Lem to get to Vic Mackie. Head for Mexico Jason.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

If the Mets signed a schlub like Guillermo Mota AFTER he was busted for 'roids, what makes you think some other club won't do the same? I think he'll be back with some other AL club. Maybe he'll go back to Oakland or Anaheim, albeit at a significantly reduced cost.

Draft saved Draft deleted