1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Oct 1, 2010.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

enough with the hamilton discounting because of missing games. he had only 15 fewer games than cabrera and only about 30 fewer at-bats. it's not like hamilton missed half a season.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, that time doesn't count at all? The point is, the Rangers won the division even with Hamilton missing a decent-sized chunk of time.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And look at what the Tigers did when Cabrera was out. They only won one of their last six games.

Not that that means a whole lot, but it does show how important he was.

AL ROOKIE: It has to be Austin Jackson doesn't it? I mean, not only is he among the rookie leaders he was Top 10 in the AL in runs scored, hits and triples.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The Rangers built the AL West lead they built because Josh Hamilton was a manchild in August. He was incredible. Yes, the Rangers held their ground in September without him, but they won the division largely because of him.

AL MVP
    1. Josh Hamilton
    2. Miguel Cabrera
    3. Jose Bautista
    4. Robinson Cano
    5. Carl Crawford

NL MVP
    1. Joey Votto, should be unanimous
    2. Carlos Gonzalez
    3. Adrian Gonzalez
    4. Albert Pujols
    5. Troy Tulowitzki

AL Cy Young
    1. Felix Hernandez
    2. David Price
    3. Clay Buccholz

NL Cy Young
    1. Roy Halladay
    2. Adam Wainwright
    3. Ubaldo Jimenez

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

NL MVP: Votto over Carlos Gonzalez, but not by much.

NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay

NL Manager of the Year: Bruce Bochy

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera

AL CY Young: CC Sabathia

AL Manager of the Year: Ron Gardenhire

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Neftali Feliz had 40 saves and a sub-1.00 WHIP for the Rangers. Jackson had an excellent season but is definitely second in this race. Feliz should win unanimously.

7. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

NL MVP: Votto
    NL CY Young: Halladay
    NL ROY: Posey
    NL Manager: Cox

AL MVP: Hamilton
    AL Cy Young: Sabathia
    AL ROY: Feliz
    AL Manager: Gardenhire

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

Not sure who I'd give the NL Manager of the Year to. Cox is the sentimental pick, Bud Black did a hell of a job, and Dusty Baker wasn't too shabby himself. I think Cox will win it, though. The sentiment of it, plus still getting the Braves to the postseason despite losing two top players and not having one of its top pitchers at full strength almost all year is quite an accomplishment.

I still think Black deserves some consideration even though the Padres didn't make the playoffs. They missed by a game, which was still 15 games closer than anyone thought they'd be on the final day of the season.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The NL rookie of the year vote will be interesting.
    Posey stat Heyward
    .305 b. avg .277
    .862 ops .849
    .357 on-base .393
    18 hr 18
    67 RBI 72
    55 K's 128

The Braves fanboi in me wants Heyward to get it, but the numbers are close enough that, were I a voter, I'd be tempted to vote for Posey, who had similar homer and RBI numers in 34 fewer games. Both of them are going to be beasts down the road.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

NL MVP: Frank McCourt's lawyers
    NL Cy Young: Jamie McCourt's lawyers
    Manager of the Year: Don Mattingly

AL awards: Not worth choosing. Make the pitcher hit, ya pansies.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Also in Posey's favor is that homerun that iced yesterdays game and put the Giants in the playoffs. It sort of reminds you that he did indeed help sparkplug what had been a shitty offense.

12. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted