1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB awards thread, 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Are all four major ones already decided?

AL MVP: Adrian Gonzalez
    AL Cy: Justin Verlander
    NL MVP: Ryan Braun
    NL Cy: Roy Halladay

With Cy No. 3, Halladay punches his Cooperstown ticket even if he never throws another inning after this season, correct?

2. GarrettWampler

GarrettWampler New Member

There is way too many games left on the schedule to call it yet. I wouldn't even put Ryan Braun as MVP of his own team. NL MVP has to be shaping up as Prince Fielder's race to loose. As far as AL CY I think if Verlander begins to falter CC can still make a solid case for it.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Jered Weaver might have something to say about that, too.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He should, since he has been the best pitcher in the American League so far this season. A 1.78 ERA in the American League is damn impressive and more than a run better than Sabathia's.

It's not like this is Felix Hernandez from 2010 we're talking about, either. Weaver has 14 victories.

It should be a race between Weaver and Verlander, with Sabathia a solid, but relatively distant, third.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

sounds right to me. i also agree that all the individual 'races' are too close to call right now and may well depend upon where teams finish (like the mvp race in the al, where the bosox and the yanks each have a couple of candidates, though if their paces continue, gonzalez will be tough to beat). be interesting to see if the breakout year ellsworth is having will take votes from gonzo.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Who's Ellsworth?
    I know you meant Ellsbury, no biggie, but who did you combine him with to get Ellsworth?
    The bigger problem for the Sox players going after MVP is they're playing fairly meaningless games the rest of the season. If someone from Cleveland, Detroit, Texas or Anaheim gets crazy hot and carries their team to the postseason, I could see one of them winning, a la Mo Vaughn over Albert Belle.
    Verlander, Weaver and Beckett are my top three in the AL
    Hamels, Halladay and Kershaw in the NL.
    NL MVP I have no idea.

7. LemMan

LemMan Member

Granderson is making a case for AL MVP. I think the AL East champ decides the MVP winner: Red Sox=Gonzalez, Yankees=Granderson.

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

My votes:

AL MVP: Cabrera
    NL MVP: Victorino
    AL CY: Sabathia
    NL CY: Halladay

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

AL MVP: Jeter
    AL Cy Young: Jetes
    NL MVP: Captain Calm Eyes
    NL Cy Young: Mr. November

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Now, i didn't pick him as MVP but there is precedent for using the MVP as a lifetime achievement award (see Stargell in '79 as an example).

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stargell wasn't the best player in the National League that year, but he was still damn good, the best player on the World Series champions. Jeter hasn't been the best player on his own team for a while.

12. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I'd go with Matt Kemp for NL MVP

Draft saved Draft deleted