1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB All-Stars: Too stupid to count, but it does

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Teams do that every year. Washington and Baltimore teamed up for the Beltway Ballot to promote Harper and Hammel.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, that's good and proper. ;)

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

None of it would bother me if Selig hadn't decided the game should count for something.

It's not that hard. Home field to the team with the best record. Hell, even rotating between the two leagues was better than this.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. If it's supposed to be "the fan's game," as so many like to say, leave it as an exhibition and make it fun. The NBA gets this, with the slamdunk contest, ect. The NHL really gets it, with the captains choosing up sides like it were a pickup game. One of these days, the NFL might even get it regarding the Pro Bowl.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I was wondering if they released the vote totals for this Final Vote thing. When it came out that Chipper was leading a few days ago, the stories I read said he had a "slim" lead over the St. Louis donk. I'm guessing they were just repeating what was in the MLB release.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Helllllll no.

7. outofplace

I didn't say it was good. I do think it was better than giving it to the team from the league that wins the All-Star game.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I know, I'm just disagreeing with that sentiment. Alternating it each year between leagues was dumb. At least this way, home field is won on the field in some form or fashion. The players have direct influence on whether they possibly get home field.

But, clearly, home field should be determined by the best record.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And now in the middle of the last day, MLB announced that Twitter hashtags for the players count as votes.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Had seen it coming, but it's official: Darvish and Freese.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2012/07/yu_darvish_david_freese_win_fa.html

11. outofplace

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/19515935/la-russa-blocking-cueto-from-allstar-game-is-bad-but-lying-about-why-is-worse

Gregg Doyel rips Tony LaRussa for leaving Johnny Cueto off the all-star team and lying about the reason.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

TLR needs to also be ripped for not starting RA Dickey due to some BS "needs a better catcher" crap. Fuck you, TLR.

Draft saved Draft deleted