1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB All-Stars: Too stupid to count, but it does

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jul 1, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't remind me. Some jackass Cubs fan in one of my fantasy leagues just traded Cliff Lee and Allen Craig for him.

(Yes, I know. Nobody cares about my fantasy team...or my fantasy league.)

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Chipper named as Kemp's replacement, paving the way for Harper to win the fan vote.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Except he was in third in the early voting

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Harper will get the nod. People can vote for him now instead of the sentimental choice. And I believe the fan voting is rigged because they never release the vote totals like they do with the starters. They just throw out vauge totals by the winners so you never know where the others stand.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize the outrage is as much of a tradition as the Midsummer Classic, and wouldn't get as much attention if there was something - ANYTHING - else to talk about - but nobody should be surprised. The whole point is to stuff the ballot box. If "your" player got hosed, you just didn't want it bad enough.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One Bay Area radio host said his station -- the Giants' flagship and one with a rumored ownership stake -- created an app that allowed fans to vote the straight party ticket. That would certainly explain the Belt/Crawford/Sanchez strong finishes. The station manager said that was just an exaggeration for effect to make a point.

Mmm hmmm.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mets GM Sandy Alderson takes on Giants fan base via Twitter:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-san-francisco-giants/giants-talk/Angry-Mets-GM-Alderson-rips-Giants-fans?blockID=734840&feedID=2539&awid=7863070912518684168-765

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I didn't expect the SF fans to be sorry they stuffed the ballot boxes ... but it would have been nice if they could have maybe faked some remorse.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that Scott Podsednik's selection in 2005 squelches that theory!

Hey, what does everyone think of the Mauer over Pierzynski selection?

It's a pretty big deal in Chicago right now, particularly with Ron Washington in town right now and getting grilled about it pre-game.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Podsednik over Jeter was a shocker. I think there was another Yankee in the mix that year, too.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The White Sox go all out with this thing.

Last year they even teamed with the Dodgers to promote one another's candidates.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I didn't know that. Oh, brother. That's when they've jumped the shark.

Draft saved Draft deleted