1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB All-Stars: Too stupid to count, but it does

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jul 1, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120701&content_id=34263550&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Starting lineups and NL reserves are in so far.

The usual stinkers. Somehow Pablo Sandoval edged out David Wright at third base in the fan voting despite missing a huge chunk of the first half and having numbers nowhere near as good as Wright. I'm sure I'll see more as I look through it.

I know the Padres are bad, but was Huston Street really the only choice for their representative? A closer who missed over a month?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Kemp was a curious choice too, since he's not expected back until the 13th.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. He was the best player in the NL up to the moment he got hurt, but he has been out for a while and won't be able to play in the game. I don't see how people vote for him over worthy candidates like Braun and McCutchen.

4. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I actually don't mind that the game counts. I just don't like the fact that fans choose the rosters.

You can't have it both ways. Either take the game serious like they want to, or don't. MLB is still caught in the middle when it comes to the All-Star game.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think there were more blunders in the NL than the AL. But they looked to be kept to a minimum.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sandoval obviously rode in on Posey's and Cabrerra's coattails.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Journalistically and fanboi-ly, good to see Desmond make the team. He's having an All-Star year without blinding numbers. My guess is Harper v. Jones battle it out in that fan thing. My AL vote is going to Hammel.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Outside of the obvious ...

Pitcher picks I liked: Ryan Cook (somebody was thinking), C.J. Wilson, Jim Johnson, Chapman, Lance Lynn.

Roster additions I liked: Billy Butler (underrated), Desmond.

Criminally stupid that Yu Darvish was left off the AL pitching staff. Bourn should be on, but more people want to see Harper, and he will win the NL vote.

oop: Yes, the Padres are that bad ... and that anonymous.

And frankly, I'm slightly impressed that Ron Washington didn't brainlessly write down Pujols' or Rodriguez's name. He could have.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

My feeling is that MLB should automatically remove any player who's injured from the online ballot for as long as he's on the DL. I know they can't do that for the paper ballots (and the fact that they use the Opening Day rosters for those lists is absurd) but most people don't use the paper votes anyway.

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I wish all the All Star games would go Glen Gary Glenn Ross and stop the charades. The players on the winning team get $1 million. The losers get a set of steak knives.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And coffee for the closers!

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A quote from Harper from today:

Harper will be up against four other National League players: Michael Bourn, Chipper Jones, David Freese and Aaron Hill in the Final Vote, which fans can vote for at MLB.com until Thursday, July 5. Jones, 40, who likely presents the greatest challenge to Harper in the vote, is retiring after the 2012 season. Harper said Sunday he’d give his vote to the future Hall-of-Famer.

“I think a Hall of Famer should be able to go to the All-Star game his last year,” Harper said. “If I was going to make a vote, I’d go vote for Chip.”

Draft saved Draft deleted