1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB All-Star teams (predictions, then actual selections)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 6, 2008.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Because Rich Harden is a lot better.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And if he has any self-respect, he'll decline the invitation ... citing an acute case of the suckass.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Carlos Zambrano

4. I hope the players are questioned today about why they put Varitek on that roster.

This should put their role in selecting the team in serious jeopardy.

Yes, the American League catching field isn't very deep this year. But Pierzynski, for example, would have been a much better selection. Several guys would have. But the players didn't want to put that kind of work into it - so they went with the guy they've known for a long time, who is "respected." If they aren't willing, collectively, to do a minimal amount of research when it's time to make a more difficult selection, then they should forfeit the right to vote.

I hope someone writes that tomorrow. I hope a lot of people do.

BTW, I believe that they chose Varitek over Navarro, correct? Francona had to add Navarro, batting 100 points more than Varitek for the best team in baseball, over "The Captain."

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Aramis Ramirez - .283, .379 obp, 15 homers, 60 RBIs

David Wright - .288, .385 obp, 16 homers, 66 RBIs.

They probably should have taken Wright, but Ramirez certainly wasn't a "bullshit" selection, especially considering how much Ramirez's defense has improved. He's now one of the league's best over there (I NEVER thought I'd say that until last season).

There's no way in hell Fukudome should even be on the team, though.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

LOL Tampa Bay, Baltimore and Toronto combine for 4 players.
    Boston gets 7 players... what the hell.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Fans did a better job with the starters than the players did with the reserves, which I find really damning.

There was a time when a Josh Hamilton, a Ryan Braun wouldn't have been on the fans' radar to the extent where they could have been voted in, mainly because they don't play in one of the media centers. The public vote has gotten smarter.

Certainly isn't perfect, but it's better than it was.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, I think both the fan vote and the player vote sucks. :D

Not sure what the solution is -- frankly, I think this is about as good as we're going to get -- but I don't think it's a great process by any means.

That said, it's an exhibition no matter what The Used Car Salesman says. If people (on the field or off) want to see Varitek there, so be it. Or, in years past, a washed-up Cal Ripken, etc. I've got no problem with that.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

"This time, it counts."

Selig said so.

Who are you to disagree with him?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Since when does Buck Weaver swallow anything a commissioner says? ;)

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Take that back.

[​IMG]

12. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Didn't you read SI? Fukudome changed the way they play! He takes pitches and everything!

Draft saved Draft deleted