1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB All-Star Break Awards / Predictions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Jul 11, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

We are talkin about who has had the better offensive first half, it's Bautista.

You say it proven that Slg and Hr's are overrated, show me your proof.

2. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Because I believe in Batting Average? Because I consider RBIs and important statistic? Because I'll take the guy who's more likely to get a hit over the guy who's more likely to hit a ball 400 feet?

Let's take a poll of analysts and managers. See how many of them are "morons" by your deffinition.

By the way, by my count, 6 of the last 10 years have seen players selected as MVPs who's teams didn't make the playoffs. That argument is completely torched.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Ugh. Slugging isn't inflated by HR's anymore than singles, doubles and triples. Home runs add more to slugging because they account for more bases. All of Gonzalez's doubles inflate his slugging. Why? Because bases is all slugging is. I've explained this already. You should be getting it by now. Instead you continue to say slugging is next to worthless but never explain why other than it is inflated by HR's which is simply wrong.

If you want to argue who I think would get the MVP rather than who should get it then it is obviously Gonzalez. As has been said already, "experts" always give the MVP (regardless of sport) to the best player on a playoff team. That doesn't mean it is actually the guy who deserved it. Bautista deserves it but Gonzalez would get it.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes lets take a poll, you be shown to see how insane your view of baseball is. RBI's, wow. I suggest you go ask some front office types about your theories and see what they have to say.

You said it has been proven, because you think so is not proof. Christ I can't believe this is still a debate in 2011. Again, you leave out the part about the guy most likely to get on base in conjuction with the power numbers.

5. Chris17

Chris17 Member

No, JC, we're not. We're talking about who would be the Midseason American League MVP. A number of folks, rightfully so, turned the conversation to offense. Some other folks, yourself included, turned it pretty personal. All kinds of analysts agree with me, and frankly many of the important statistics do too. I enjoy discussion, that was the whole point of the original post. But when discussion turns to personal attacks, it's just not worth it any more.

I'll take Gonzalez. You take Bautista. Let's move the hell on.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Do your math again. Try watching some Seasame Street with Count von Count first. Arod in 2003 with Texas is the last person to win it on a non-playoff team in the AL and that was a huge story because it is rare.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The important statistics? BA and RBI are your so called important statistics? BA maybe but not RBI. The game has changed Chris that analysis has become laughable. They aren't to be overlooked but they are not the most important statistics.

Fair enough, we will move on but you will still be ignorant in your evaluation of the game.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, you can play the condescending card, too. It is just funnier coming from you because you are wrong.

And JC nailed it. Gonzalez isn't getting MVP consideration over Bautista because he has been the better hitter. His team is better. That's the main reason. Also helps that he is in Boston and Bautista is in Toronto.

I'm sorry if I missed some part of one of your posts. It is just hard to keep reading when some gooftball tries to argue that home runs, slugging percentage and walks should not be considered when evaluating a hitter.

The way you twist statistics is truly comical.

For example, Bautista's on-base percentage is 54 points higher than Gonzalez's (.468 to .414) and you want to dismiss that percentage as insignificant, but Gonzalez has a 20-point edge in batting average (.354 to .334) and that is "massively, massively in favor of AG."

Pure comedic bullshit on your part.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You really think there are front office executives who rely on batting average and RBI and dismiss home runs, slugging percentage and walks? That's hysterically funny.

10. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Listen to yourselves.

"Slugging isn't inflated by HR's anymore than singles, doubles and triples." - Except that hitting a home run counts for 4 points, and hitting a single counts for 1. If only baseball worked like that. It's a valuable statistic. But it does not tell you who is the better or more consistent hitter. It measures the power of a hitter, not how good or consistent of a hitter he is. Do some reading. Actually, just read the first friggin sentence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slugging_percentage. Power of hitter. There's a reason Jose Canseco had a good slugging percentage.

"As has been said already, 'experts' always give the MVP (regardless of sport) to the best player on a playoff team." - You honestly don't read other people's posts, do you? 6 of the last 10 years.

Goodness. Read.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

why shouldn't it count as 4 times a single, Jesus Christ man. Do you think they should be valued equally? Although you did consider Pete Rose to be one of the best hitters of all time so I guess I shouldn't be shocked.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I hope the leagues' respective RBI leaders feel appropriate shame for driving in all those runs.

Draft saved Draft deleted