1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022-23 Hot Stove thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Nov 11, 2022.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

God, what a shitty thing, and of course it happened to the Mets.

I do really like the WBC. And I know this was just a freak accident. But I'd likely strongly discourage any of my players to participate in this from now on. Diaz doesn't get hurt in a scrum during a March game at Port St. Lucie.

And yeah, move the WBC the fuck out of March.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Athletes get hurt all the time, ask Bob Ojeda about cutting meat in the kitchen, DJ walking down stairs. You can't prevent everything. Not playing in the WBC is not the answer (of course getting hurt in a celebration is most random and most unfortunate, hello Martin Gramatica!). Sometimes its just time for that body part to go. And sometimes some people are prone to more injuries than someone else.

4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I truly hate this happened, and I'm not a Mets fan. But I also have loved watching the WBC this year.

sgreenwell and qtlaw like this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

High school pitchers are always dicey and they passed up SS Marcelo Mayer, who is doing well with the Red Sox

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

True. I'd still give it time.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

“When they give the name of the doctor who will perform a procedure on an athlete, that’s when you know it’s serious,” Dr. James Andrews said.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

According to The Athletic, MLB will reimburse the Mets for Edwin Diaz's salary for as long as he is out.

"The Mets won’t end up paying Díaz because the injury occurred while he was participating in the WBC. Major League Baseball has insurance in place to protect the team in these types of circumstances. As the New York Post first reported Thursday night, if the right-hander doesn’t return this season, MLB’s insurance would cover Díaz’s 2023 salary of $18.64 million. It’s unclear, however, whether his salary will still count against the luxury tax."

It is more meaningful if Diaz's salary wouldn't count toward the luxury tax.

Either way, I expect the Mets to pursue help for the bullpen at some point this season.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I would watch a 30 for 30 on James Andrews.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's it, you're busted in 3 ... 2 ...

Draft saved Draft deleted